passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Virtua Tennis 3 and 4

illdog

Been playing this alot recently. Made me a custom character then set off to becomes the world numero uno, training hard to get my stats to a respectable level and winning tournaments here and there to boost my world ranking.

The higher your ranking, the more lucrative the tournaments become. You know your getting somewhere when the Grand Slams start to open up, place well in these and you are invited to the King of Players tournament where you get a shot at the top seed, filthy Federer with his cheating tennis style.

Training comes in the form of The Academy where your asked to do ridiculous things to boost your stats. You can also take part in a series of mini games that appear dotted around the world map, like knocking down skittles a la bowling to improve your serve, hitting down walls of oil drums to strengthen your groundstrokes.

Its addictive stuff, a feint interest in tennis helps. Not one for the angry gamer tho, im currently nursing a nasty gash on one of my knuckles after punching my pad following an super fucking irritating loss to Fed-arse-rer, the cunt. He can return anything from anywhere whenever he wants and he does it perfectly. I nearly shit myself when i finally beat the bastard.

Decent online aswell, played some random chimp and kicked his ass, looking forward to playing someone on here? Hendo?

Hmmm, good question J-Bizzy.

Two totally different games, its like choosing between Mario Kart and Forza. Also it depends on how much you like Tennis. Personally, i preffered Virtua Tennis, its deeper and doesnt have bonkers smash moves to half please half annoy you but its not to say Sega Superstars isnt worth gettin it. Your misses will prefer SST, thats a fact.

I got VT3 for £13 of videogamesplus.com cos its region free, but Play do it cheap ass.

Decent online aswell, played some random chimp and kicked his ass, looking forward to playing someone on here? Hendo?

Yep, I'm in. :)

I haven't played this though since Christmas when me and Ben had a few matches. Unless I was being a complete monkey, the "invite to game" system seemed to be arse backwards, where you had to invite them into a doubles match or something. It wasn't very simple, anyway.

But yeah I'm up for some spanking.

And Jim, if you like the previous versions of VT, this is exactly the same! So much so that I'm trading my copy of the PSP version in as it's a bit pointless having it. The Dreamcast one stays though. ;)

• 1 month later...

I received this today from a forumite over at RLLMUK, and have been playing it for a bit. It's very polished, graphically very impressive and is so smooth. I've created my player and have built up a few of the stats by playing the mini-games, which are excellent fun as always. Played a couple quick tournaments on the World Tour which were fun. Loving what I have played so far, being a fan of VT on the PSP, and VT2, it was inevitable. But yeah, super polished tennis goodness.

• 7 years later...

I think I've put about 10 to 15 hours in to Virtua Tennis 4 over the last month or so, it's the perfect game to dip in and out of.

They always tinker with the World Tour, this time it's like a board game and you have 'moves' that you can use each go. They range from one move to four moves and you use them to strategically move yourself toward the main goal, which is that country's Grand Slam. On the way you can land on mini tournaments (both singles and doubles), training games to boost your stats, one off events that put you against a current Tennis super star who can also become doubles partners. Why, there are even injury squares (well, they're circles) to hamper your progress, hotles to rest in to recover lost stamina and shops where you can by special moves like 'Sports Massage' if you are low on health and a hotel is nowhere in sight or 'Agent' moves to boost rewards from tournaments.

Ultimately you are trying to earn start to boost your notoriety, this acts as a seed system, the more reknowned you are the less you have to qualify for tournaments. Ultimate goal is to be number fucking one man, number fucking one.

Otherwise it's Virtua Tennis you know and and love/hate. I love it. Is there a better tennis game?

I've always loved Virtua Tennis,the Vita version is indeed excellent. Yet I cant be arsed with watching "real" tennis.

I have fond memories of playing doubles with my mate on Dreamcast. We never managed to beat the final Pro team of King and Master though. Right pair of cheating twats.