passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

My Slowley Dying 360

Jimboxy

Got in from work today and thought i'd have a bash at rez, i'm enjoying the demo then all of a sudden my machine freezes and i get a red chequred pattern all over the screen. At first i thought it was because i'd finished the demo but then nothing at all was happening, one reset later and i can't even get passed the splash screen...

Just got off the phone with Microsoft, apperently its a graphics card problem and surprise surprise it isn't covered under the extended warranty. My 1 year warranty ran out last novemeber, so now i need to pay £60 to get it fixed.

I've now managed to get it loaded up again but i can't see it holding out for much longer, not really a great start to the week...

Unlucky, I've just got mine back recently, it would constantly think that it was over-heating, but it turns out the motherboard was screwed, and that was also just covered by the one year warranty, that £60 does also get you another warranty, so, every cloud and all.:dry:

I hope if Microsoft intend on jump-starting the next generation they make there consoles reliable.

I was at a mate's place on Sunday night and he showed me his new addition to his household - a barely year old 360 (barely used too) that now has 3 coloured lights on the front. And they aren't the usual green either.

It's got some brilliant games and a fantastic online service, shame that the actual machine was built by monkeys.

that is very true the build quality is a sack of shit, 4 of my friends have had to send theres back to various reasons, i'm kinda pissed thats its happened but as you said there are some great games and the online is ace so i'm going to have to get it fixed.

I've never had a machine before where every time I turn it on I hold my breath till it starts up.

I've also never been so paranoid as I was when I set the machine up for the first time.

It's absolute bobbins but if it died I would go straight back to a 360 again as I'm a masochistic bastard.

Just a quick update, turned on the old gal when i got in from work (lost odyssey just arrived so i thought i'd take my chances) and it managed to load up the game only to freeze up and.....

RING OF DEATH!!

which for me is a very good thing. I've just got off the phone to MS and there going to repair it for free, i never thought i'd be so happy to see the ROD

Well at least your getting it reparied for free! Do you get a new warranty with that?

Oh and Hendo, i know what you mean about setting it up, i moved my 360 once and somehow forgot to plug the AV cable in, which resulted in a quarter Ring of Death. Shat myself thinkin it was broke till i realised my stupidity :D

Shin_Seffron wrote:

Well at least your getting it reparied for free! Do you get a new warranty with that?

Oh and Hendo, i know what you mean about setting it up, i moved my 360 once and somehow forgot to plug the AV cable in, which resulted in a quarter Ring of Death. Shat myself thinkin it was broke till i realised my stupidity :D

I did exactly the same thing, i saw it light up and nearly dried, then the sound kicked in through my stereo and I realised I was being a fool, doh!

• 2 weeks later...

How long did it take to get it fixed start to finish?

I think the newer models have the new heatsynch and the falcon chip which runs cooler and are generally more reliable.

The problem is... if you send your brand new, falcon chipped box back for repair... there is a chance that it will just get replaced for a fixed up old chip version with the new heatsynch installed.

I also read that if your box is gonna red ring... its most likely to do it while its still pretty new.

My one has been a worry from day one!

Some games like gears of war make the dvd drive click like mad... actually i think if its gonna fail the dvd drive will fail before anything else.

I also had a friend who's dvd drive failed and wasn't covered under the extended warranty. So what he did was wrap it up in a towel and turn it on for a few hours... that got the chip nice and hot and produced a red ring in no time... which got him a free replacement box :-)

My current plan is to buy an elite and then flog my old box to game before it blows up.

While i might feel guilty about some poor sod buying a box thats not up to scratch (although they are covered by games 1 year warranty) it will make me feel great about ripping game off as they are a bunch of c*nts.

Oliath wrote:

I also had a friend who's dvd drive failed and wasn't covered under the extended warranty. So what he did was wrap it up in a towel and turn it on for a few hours... that got the chip nice and hot and produced a red ring in no time... which got him a free replacement box :-)

I could be wrong but I'm sure I heard that you can wrap up a red-ringed 360 in a towel and it brings it back from the dead.

Found it.

the whole process took about a week and a half, but i think it would have been much longer if it wasn't for the fact that UPS are fucking awesome. Super fast..

Its still my old machine but i assume they have done something to the internals. They also sent me a 1 month gold card as well .