passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sin and Punishment

Hendo

So this is (like Paper Mario) one of the certain games for a lot of people to pick up so let's get some impressions on the go!

I shall be buying this (and Gradius III) in the morning and will be giving it a good seeing to throughout the day.

600 points short for both this and Gradius 3 so I just bought this.

Currently I'm on a boss that is (I presume) the main bad guy's pet. If anyone (I'm guessing Supagorgoniser) can elighten me on the plot as I've no idea what the fuck is going on! The voice acting is a bit pooey, but it does add to the charm.

I think it's aged pretty well, apart from the character models which have that ugly weetabix-style that you get from most N64 games but some bits look really stunning.

The controls are taking a bit of getting used to. Maybe it's better on the Classic Controller, but due to how you handle it when using the sticks I'm refusing to use them for N64 games - the Gamecube pad is best (hell, the Classic Controller put me off Lylat Wars, and didn't work very well on Mario Kart 64). For some reason, best known to Nintendo, instead of using the main analogue stick to move, you use the d-pad, as both the main stick and the C-stick control your aiming. It's either use the d-pad or bizarrely the X and Y buttons to move left and right.

There's two difficulty settings and the default is Easy. As it's a Treasure game I have no shame in admitting I've stuck with Easy.

So far it's thumbs up, but I'd like to play it with an N64 pad in the way it was intended. Oh and 1200 points. :(

Why do I get the feeling all these festival VC games will drop back down to normal prices when it's over?

The price hike is disgusting but I knew I was gonna buy it straight away. On the one hand, I hope they've made enough sales that after the festival is over they'll drop the price back to normal.

On the other hand, I'd be pretty pissed that I paid full whack. But then, it's good enough that I got to play it straight away.

I'm a fair way through it now, and I keep getting stuck on a boss (there's a lot of them) and go and check a guide and smack myself in the head for my stupidity - it's generally because I forget about the melee attack, and the sword is the move you need to do the right damage at certain bits.

I don't think it's that good that warrants someone paying over the odds for the cartridge, but it's a definite purchase for the VC (sorry Ben).

can't help you with the plot i'm afriad hendo, the N64 one was nearly all japanese, so i just skipped most of the scenes! (also, i care very little for plot in shooters, i just want to blow stuff up)

and the controls were just as weird on the N64 pad, took a bit of getting used to every time

anyone got to the level over the sea yet? its the greatest level ever

Am I the only only one having trouble with the boss on the 2nd stage, the dog on the roof. It starts to use a laser attack and I can't roll under or jump over it.:(

I am enjoying it though.:dry: I think, the moment I changed the contols to type C anyway. I'm not gonna complain because I want to see more rare games on VC. I would give examples but I have a memory like a sive.

That's the boss I was stuck on!

Use the sword on the bombs and target the dog/cat/thing so they hit it. When he starts leaping about, stay still behind a pillar and jump as it passes you and use the sword on him. In case you're on Normal and having trouble, there's no shame in dropping back down to Easy.

Which level is that, Supa? Is that the one with the battleships? I can't remember the furthest I got, but I've been on the train and the level after that.

Had a go of this on Project64 this morning and have to say. It reminds me alot of Space Harrier, even down to the enenmy design. Still its brilliant fun, even though the controls were a bit wierd on the PS2 pad I use for emulators.

I actually captured some video on FRAPS, but sometimes the FPS leaves alot to be desired (during the worm boss it dropped to about 7 frames per second at one point! not the rom or emulators fault, FRAPS uses alot of power to run properly) and it seems to have captured sound from my headset so you can hear slight beeps in the background from the game, and me pressing buttons on the pad, plus my daughter playing in the background.

Still, thats the first time I've ever used FRAPS so I'm gonna learn more about it and get it working properly.

I can kinda see the Space Harrier reference but I always found Space Harrier to be sooooo dull - this is unrelenting and a great shooter!

What control type are people using? After Part Time Gamer mentioned it, I changed to the third type but although it kinda made sense, it was hard for me to control my movement with the shoulder buttons - I was always moving the aim as well at the same time.

I've gone back to the original type now.

Erm, on Project64 using my PS2 pad, the left stick moves the cursor to aim, the right stick move the character and the two right shoulder buttons jump and shoot...

The video I have has me stuck with the target in the top right of the screen quite a few times :(

Sadly on the Cube pad the left stick and the C-stick are both move the cursor, to move you have to use the d-pad, and we all know how turd the Cube d-pad is.

I might try the Classic Controller to see if that works like the version you're playing.

I really couldn't get used to the default controls, I wanted to move but I would switch to auto target, using the type C set up it kind of reminds me of PN03 and I just get in that way of thinking. I'm using the classic controller.

I havn't been on it lately, but Hendo, are you me talking about the same boss because it doesn't seem to shoot bombs (to my knowledge) and there is no pillar, I have to knock this one off the top of a building, and I'm ashamed to admit its pretty early on.

Ah I know the one.

You shoot it towards the edge and stop when it's about to shoot 2 red bolts toward you (a double-jump should see you right over them) and then later he'll fire the big bastard laser that you just need to anticipate when it will fire and then double jump it.

The laser itself doesn't last more than a second so you have enough time.

After about 3 times off the edge, the beast should be history. :)

Just make sure you don't get too close to him.

Cheers Hendo but I went away and its done, don't get close.:P I was sick of it so went at it like a man possesed with my sword, starting to realise how handy that is. But I think I'm starting to fall in love with this game, just got to the level at sea and i'm getting the hang of it.

Its just so much fun leaping around using your sword to knock back missiles at the people who were stupid enough to fire them at you:evil: its even managed to keep me off Halo 3.

Glad to hear you're enjoying this!

I was a little uncertain that it would actually be all that good of a game after it being so highly sought after, but it really is one of the best VC games in the system and one of the best N64 games full stop.

For shame, TGK, for shame.

As my complete 2007 list says, I've now finished it on Easy and I'm going through on Normal.

Oh yeah, the Classic Controller is the same as the Cube one.

Awesome game and one of my favourites (out of many) VC games that I've played this year.

just had a go proper, it is mind blowing stuff! all the scripted events happening in some of those battles are mind blowing, cant believe the 64 pulled it off, did the original keep up such a respectable framerate too does anyone know? sword is overpowered, and feels great to use :P knocked lad out of a window

ive no idea whats going on in the storyline, we're the mutant friends of mutant rebel achi? and after some mutants nailed achi with machne gun fire in the intro, lad wants to nail us with the help of his 'volunteers' (Future TA?) because we're 'ruffians', but the monsters are ruffians too, and so is lad. now ive been whisked to long island NY, and i keep saying where is achi, but didnt achi die at the beginning.. WTF IS GOING ON PEOPLE

TopGunKnacker wrote:...cant believe the 64 pulled it off, did the original keep up such a respectable framerate too does anyone know?

certainly did, always smooth!

glad to hear everyones enjoying it, always knew more people needed to play it, i'm having trouble convincing some people to download this still though!