passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Sunshine

Sambob

A good game, none can argue however, the point that will always be in contention here is whether or not its actually better than the previous generations version: Super mario 64.

I quite liked this game and the inclusion of the water pack really added a great new element to the mario platforming. For me nothing will beat the wall jumping of Mario 64's snow level (with the red coins and then the star along the bridge) therefore mine oar has been stuck in for Mazza in his 64 bit adventure.

Thoughts?

I've always loved Mario 64 but after I played Sunshine, I dont think I could play mario 64 without bitching at how difficult it is to control mario.

Both games are great, full of fun and interesting levels however Sunshine is constantly being compared to Mario 64 and there isn't much noticeable improvement.

I think that they are bothe great games. Obviously sunshine isnt anywhere near as groundbreaking as Mario 64 was. Nevertheless Sunshine is stll rateable in my book, i think the main problem people had with it was that they were expecting Super Mario 128 whereas what we got was Mario 64 2 (If that makes sense) Sunshine wasnt much more than a sequel, building on the fortifications 64 had created.

As long as you dont expect anything to great, im sure people could see this game for what it is - A Great platforming experience.

That's so right Shin.

I thought it was briliant and I think people didn't realise how Mario 64 was such a huge step up from the 2D games, and the technology hadn't moved on as much to have a similar step up.

Play Sunshine now and then 64 and Sunshine looks so much better.

I had such a blast on it (love the water tools!) and it only pissed me off after I'd finished the main game and I struggled to 100% it, even with a guide.

Great game tho.

My beef with this game is the difficulty curve. Or the difficulty yo-yo, as I prefer to think of it. Every so often, one stage is just morbidly hard, which pisses me off for months until I get round to going back to it. Come to think of it, I'll probably never finish it now, because I've got so many other (easier!) things to play.

Edge did a great retrospective on this a few months back.

They mentioned the fact that for the first time in a Mario game he had real life issues, like the environment and having a holiday and actual cause and effects, which are some of the reasons it just didn't feel right...

And i would agree, whilst it's a great platform game, one of the best in fact, it just isn't good enough or consistant enough to be hailed as a great Mario game, which says more for the previous games than anything else really...

wow, a ramble there....

Chinzon wrote:

My beef with this game is the difficulty curve. Or the difficulty yo-yo, as I prefer to think of it. Every so often, one stage is just morbidly hard, which pisses me off for months until I get round to going back to it. Come to think of it, I'll probably never finish it now, because I've got so many other (easier!) things to play.

That's very true. Some levels are rock.

I still love it though.

:wub:

• 1 year later...

I can only add to the love here. Adored this (even if it did have its moments) - I remember 'a sand bird is born' being a bit tricky! Loved scooting round the main play area seeing how far I could climb. Water effects were amazing & you emerged on the mainland feeling genuinely refreshed. I think my fave levels were the funfair & the Harbour, but it was all pretty delightful really.