passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VI

Metroid66

I was running around a bit aimlessly during that part, too, but because the world size is manageable I think it's not too bad to just visit every dot on the map to see what happens. Unless you don't have the means to do that yet, but if so the game should still be leading you gentle towards that goal.

I ran into one of these nonsense JRPG bosses yesterday who casts the most powerful spell when he dies, which annihilated my party. No amount of Reflect or Shell worked, so I tried

Spoiler

sucking out all his MP, which took forever but that actually did the trick. Didn't even know enemies died if they have no MP left, I was simply trying it because I thought it'd prevent him from casting Ultima.

But that was one hell of an annoying dungeon and boss.

Side note: that Minervia Bustier (armour piece) I found is utterly broken. You can equip it to Terra and Celes and they're borderline immortal because is gives complete immunity towards most elements. And I'm absolutely fine with that.

7 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Side note: that Minervia Bustier (armour piece) I found is utterly broken. You can equip it to Terra and Celes and they're borderline immortal because is gives complete immunity towards most elements. And I'm absolutely fine with that.

Yep! As soon as I found mine, Celes became more durable than any of the physical attackers.

As for your spoiler strategy. That is actually required for some bosses...

Just a piece of advice: Teach Rasp and Osmose to everyone

I think I've just encountered an optional boss on my way to find Cyan, a windy dragon. Hits far too hard for my party at the mo. I look forward to coming back and kicking his arse.

I don't usually bother with optional stuff in these games, but I remember leveling up like mad because I got obsessed with taking down this infuriating monster in FFX-2. Got so powerful I took the main story boss down in about 30 seconds.

The windy dragon is the second hardest of those optional bosses, in my opinion.

Spoiler

There are Eight Dragons to defeat if you want the ultimate prize!

What is the price? I've found and beaten three of those things so far but I'd probably have to look up the rest if I wanted to catch 'em all, which I'm not necessarily willing to do if the reward is just a new bunch of cards for Setzer.

There's an excellent grind spot just outside Maranda, with big xp monsters. I'm tempted to power up my team and go back and have it out with that dragon behind the thieves town.

Anyway I have Cyan, Setzer, Ceres, Edgar, Sabin, and I'm a bit concerned about Terra, whose not having it. I also know where Gau is, so if I don't get obsessed with taking down that dragon (such obsessions have happened before) that will be my next stop.

..Ok.

Six Dragons are in various locations* throughout the world. The last two are in the final dungeon.

*I will give you the locations. But no specifics IE what element they are. So if it's an area you haven't heard of, or can't find the Dragon. That's a more direct question for later.

Locations*

Spoiler

Narshe

Mt Zozo

Opera House 

Ancient Castle

Phoenix Cave

Cultists Tower

^ As per what @Metroid66was saying. Phoenix Cave also has a great grind spot (assuming you at least go into the area with Blizzara).

Spoiler

The initial area just outside the door on the lower lava level. There are groups of enemies there that are quite generous with XP. 

Didn't grind there specifically after all but just going through gave me roughly 5 level-ups per character which is decent.

Spoiler

Wasn't expecting to find Locke in there, thought he was going to run into my party automatically later as he's sort of a bigger character in the game. The dragon in that cave was peanuts though, strangely enough. Celes made a popsicle out of him after three or four turns only.

After that I randomly stumbled upon yet another character after visiting the last grey dot on the map. I still haven't done the Colosseum because I hate the entire concept of it but at this point I might just try to go through somehow.

The game is starting to get on my nerves a bit, I have to say. 

I'm not blaming the game in the least, I understand the limitations involved in making it, but I'm basically trapped in a dungeon, running in circles, and there's just nothing, other than pure chance, whereby I can see myself getting out. I only went in because I thought there might be a dragon lurking in there😀

To be fair, even before this entrapment, I was starting to look for excuses not to play it. 

I have enjoyed my time with it, but I can feel a lack of interest starting to form. Might have bit more of the old school off than I can chew - like the whole gym or the chemistry department.

8 minutes ago, Metroid66 said:

I'm not blaming the game in the least, I understand the limitations involved in making it, but I'm basically trapped in a dungeon, running in circles, and there's just nothing, other than pure chance, whereby I can see myself getting out.

Where are you?

Managed to escape my prison thanks to @Maryokutai, and I'm back on the road with a quick stop to get Gau suited and booted to meet his father. Seems to be wearing modern western garb. This game's time frame is all over the place.

One problem I've got is that I can't quite remember how many companions I had when it all went to shit. I think I'll just go all the dots on the map and see what happens. I'm also going to have another go at Terra, as I'm not convinced I'm meant to leave her behind. I'm not convinced because @Maryokutaiand @OCH both had her in their second half line-up, lol.