passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Samba de Amigo : Party Central

spatular

Maraca based rhythm action game. The original on dreamcast was great, with maraca controllers, not played it in years mind. Was a bit sceptical about this, didnt think the joycons would work that well for the motion controls, but it works a lot better than i expected, probably partially because it seems pretty lenient in recognising hits. But at the same time it doesnt work quite as well as as it could, id expect the vr version to be better, think its quest exclusive?

the music selection is sort of similar in that its better than i expected, but it could also have been better still. Didnt recognise most of the songs by name but playing through them theres certainly enough songs that ive been enjoying playing through, even though i maybe wouldnt listen to them outside the game.

To register normal hits It doesnt work based on the height of the controller, it uses the angle of the controller, so if you hold your hands up the controller will angel up automatically, for middle hits your supposed to hold them straight, and for down you point them down. Its probably easier to explain how it works with a video (ill try and add one later) but theres 6 locations you can shake a maraca/controller at (top middle bottom, and each have left/right) thats how the original worked, with iirc some posing where you hold a pose. The new version has maybe too much posing and other stuff like movements/dancing stuff going on. The ones where you slide the controllers around to match movements on screen are a bit odd too in that they start far too quickly for you to follow them entirely (unless you memorise them i guess), the game doesnt care too much though and will give you a perfect hit as long as you follow the last bit ok, its sometimes a bit vague what youre supposed to be doing though which isnt great for a rhythm action game. Usually the game just gives you the benefit of the doubt and registers a hit even if im not sure i hit the note, sometimes it goes the other way though, although maybe i need to get better at it.

Because of the above, if you want to play it seriously for high scores and stuff its maybe not great, although again maybe i need to get better. But i would say it is pretty fun and im enjoying it, no regrets on getting it.

not tried playing with a pad yet, which worked well in the original, suspect with all the dancing/sliding going on in this it might not work as well here?

the graphics i quite like (after thinking the graphics looked a bit crap in the trailer) its mainly just a load of mad stuff going on in the background, and ive got a cool hat. Its very colourful.

for sonic fans the blue guy is in this dancing and stuff.

oh yeah theres a roulette thing which seems odd, you can toggle it off, which i have.

theres also an ios version, not sure if its quite the same game though.

ive mostly been playing the songs in the quickplay mode, but there is a sort of single player thing which seems to be just challenges, most of which are quite easy so far but the one to not miss notes is really annoying but looks like it can be skipped.

anyone else giving it a go?

The trailer shows how the gameplay works, although in very short bits

• 3 months later...

Fair enough i liked the switch version but yeah the controls arent perfect, not based on height at all for standard hits, but i think its pretty lenient so works alright. Its fun, i like it. Vr version seems better as youd expect but only had a short go so far.

trombone champ is good fun too, and quite a bit cheaper, i prefered samba personally, maybe depends how funny you think fart noises are!

There's a demo on the eShop if you want to try it for yourself @Pikman

Like spatular says it's rather lenient and works well enough I think. I didn't buy the full version yet though because them locking classic SEGA tunes behind a DLC paywall soured the whole thing a bit for me.