passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nag

Booted this up for the first time today just for a look see... played for a couple of hours and completed four levels.

For those not in the know it's a Steam punk (I guess) take on Westerns mixed with Vampires which I thought was going to be much more shooter orientated than it is... it's actually much closer to the newer God of War games than Gears of War, shit, you even open and smash chests the same way as Kratos does.

So there's a definite leaning towards melee combat over ranged but there's Guns involved obviously being a Western. These work on a cool down rather than relying on ammo drops and are mainly used for hitting exposed weak points with the rifle or chip damage for the pistol then there's the sawn off which is great for obliterating shields... all standard stuff for anyone who's played a third person adventure game anytime recently. So far in terms of levels it feels very old school with very linear levels designed to funnel you from one encounter to the next.

As for looks it's been a very mixed bag so far, actual game play looks ok, I'm not sure if it's a design choice or what but there's a really weird glow with everything... fire sources are ridiculously bright and this isn't even an hdr enabled game and then you have the cutscenes which everything just looks muddy and crushed to fuck... I'm not sure whats going on there. Funnily though the pictures I'll post look a damn sight better then they do on a tv.🤷‍♂️

So a bit of a mixed bag... plays fine, looks a little ropey.

184b4751a9259-screenshotUrl.jpg

184b47540f673-screenshotUrl.jpg

184b475764163-screenshotUrl.jpg

Spoiler

184b474e93a36-screenshotUrl.jpg184b475cd5296-screenshotUrl.jpg184b475f09053-screenshotUrl.jpg184b4759f3042-screenshotUrl.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well I'm having quite a bit of fun with this.

I still have an old TV so it more or less looks like it does in the screenshots for me.  It's unusually high contrast but I think I just don't like how it overly highlights interactive route pointers.

The cutscenes look like the grindhouse aesthetic from a while back that a bunch of games went for and it looks quaint now.  It's just more that not a lot happens in the cutscenes except have the lads actually tough, but it's not written in the most entertaining way.

The game itself I'm enjoying a lot.  I wasn't expecting something so close to God of War '18 either but it definitely has a lot of that.  I checked the devs previous games and a lot of that is mixed in there too.  They made the Shadow Warrior games so you can also see them doing the grindhouse thing there too.  But their shooters are made in a way where swapping weapons and making use of their traits is the optimal way to play.  And that's in here too but it's kinda better because your always just a button or combo of buttons away from using a particular skill to take advantage of a situation.  And they do throw a lot of enemies at you and it can be overwhelming.  I have died a few times, it gets serious pretty quick.

I've been enjoying the B-movie-ness of it, it's very third act of From Dusk Til Dawn but in a video game.  It's fun.