passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Trials of Mana

bellow

Not quite done yet, in fact the "end" doesn't make it entirely clear when it actually does end. But there's only one area left I haven't visited yet so it can't be too long now.

I usually don't rate anything, but for me this was very enjoyable with a couple of flaws of which most can be explained by the game being 25 years old. I think the character choices aren't that great of an idea because it fractures the storytelling – I'd have preferred to have all six of them in my party with a more fleshed-out narrative. On the gameplay side, bar the dumb companions and weird class change roadblocks, it's really solid though. There wasn't a single dungeon or moment where I though "I'm glad when this is over". Feels very arcade-ish in that regard in that you can just play it for 5 minutes and have fun doing so.

Okay, now I'm done. As underwhelming as the last Lil' Cactus reward can seem on paper, I'm pretty sure I managed to shave off at least 30 minutes from the last, big, massive dungeon thanks to it. So I'd definitely recommend going for them all because that dungeon might otherwise seem a tad too long.

Nothing has changed about my impressions though. Very fun game with a couple of small issues that don't matter too much when looking at the big picture. Took me 26 hours btw. which is below-average for a (J)RPG but a fitting number for this since it doesn't have that much depth.

I know what @Maryokutai means about the last dungeon. It is a tad too long, and I've never been one for repeated bosses.

However, I've fought my way to the final boss so hopefully I can close this out later, and start my second run...

Just kidding ?. It's good, but I'll be waiting for a lull in my gaming catalogue before I do the decent thing and take the other 3 characters thru their stories.

I'm not sure if I'll ever do that. The characters and story were sweet in a 16bit kind of way but definitely not what kept me playing. The little bit of backstory I managed to get about Charlotte, even though she wasn't in my party, seemed rather interesting because it was the most emotional part of the game in my opinion, but I'm not sure if that's enough to play through it again. I doubt Hawkeye and Kevin play vastly different to Reiz or Duran.

Who knows though. Maybe I'll get the PS4 version super cheap at some point and try the game in all its 60 fps glory.

Done. Yet another Jrpg closed out since my run started with DQ11 late last year. So many great moments, it's hard to count. And while this wasn't the best (FFXII) it certainly wasn't the worst (Tales of Vesperia).

Unlike @Maryokutai, I will definitely be doing a second run with the other characters. I thought there was enough there to sustain such an endeavour. The game was bright, addictive in the combat, fun, and reasonably challenging at times, and the characters had good little backstories.

I don't know if @Maryokutai bothered but if you load up your completed game save it takes you to an after-game (although placed before the final boss in the main game) where a superboss is named and the chance to get class 4 is offered. You have to do a trial with each character and be level 72 to change classes. I just did it with Angela. It wasn't too difficult, and the rewards are considerable, including a spell so devastating it would have made mincemeat of the final game boss.

I'm not sure I'll carry on. Superbosses aren't usually my thing. I'd rather spend my time with the other characters and their tales.

I played through that 'bonus' chapter. When I mentioned a really long final dungeon I was actually talking about that one. I think it's worth going through and not particularly difficult either. Definitely no old school JRPG grindfest, you can pretty much just play through it. It does feel a bit detached from the overall narrative though - I don't know if it's a new thing in the remake but it feels a bit like it.

As said before I'd definitely recommend completing the Cactus collection first though.

As I said, you don't need to grind. It's just another area with another boss and if you don't run from every fight you'll managed to rack up almost ten levels on the way. It's also a good place to use these XP boosters if you, like me, completely forgot they existed during the normal playthrough.