passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Galak-Z: The Dimensional

HandsomeDead

This only came to my attention a month ago at the most and I don't know how I missed it. I think I would have remembered it if I'd seen it before.

So its another rogue-like, or rogue-light, or rogue-lite... rogue-zero? I dunno. Its one of those games with sort of permadeath and upgrades and randomly generated levels tied to a game that isn't an RPG. In this case its tied to an arcade style shooter, say Asteroids.

But its not as simple as that, in fact it has tons of stuff in it to play with. There are different kinds of lasers; like spread shot, ones that bounce of walls, and typical stuff like that but they can be combo'd together for some different results. I'm just on my first run so I've not seen how deep that goes.

There is a lot of movement options. You've got that skate-y movement which I always really like in games like this, and you also have this strafe that is quite hard for me to get my head around now. I tend to just strafe into rocks.

There is also a 'duke' button. It basically functions as a dodge and gives you some invincibility frames, and that I find very useful.

It's a good job that there are these evasive options as you don't get a whole lot of health, health pickups aren't common or cheap. Thankfully it does have a very Halo-like shield system. halo was apparently an inspiration for the game, generally, and it does come through. I can't put my finger on it but there is something in the flow of combat that is similar, at least in the moments when you decide to be brave.

It's structured like a TV show in that you have five episodes in a series. A series acts like save point which you can carry on from. I've not died yet so I don't know first hand what happens when you die but from what I hear you do have to start from the beginning of a series if that happens, though there might be some kind of safety net.

The structure is fitting since it's going for an anime thing, though it looks more Saturday Morning Cartoon Inspired By Anime. I can't help but think Ben 10 when I see it. I don't think it actually looks that great or has a nice style, but the game is fun to play.

It does make me wonder who they're aiming for as it does feel like its shooting for a younger audience at times though it does play a pretty hard game of shoot'n'dodge like those 30-something console gamers like.

Anyway, I've got a bit more to see. I've not even got to the bit where your spaceship turns onto a mech, yet. Yes, it has a mech in it.

I played it some more and started the second series, and fuck me is it a bastard. I knew it was meant to get serious but was really unprepared for how much, so I was decimated by the first group of enemies I came across. i do okay on runs now, but it just takes one mistake, one situation where you get a bit too confident and its all over.

I'm usually okay at games like this but its one of those Get Good, Scrub kind of games.

I think its fun, but if you're gonna get it it does requite some commitment. It isn't something you'll get much out of for 10 minute bashes.