passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

CounterSpy

Hendo

400 quid on a new system and my favourite thing on it is a ten quid game I could've bought on the PS3 and did buy on my iPad.

This video - http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-counterspy/2300-9358/ - sold me on it. I didn't realise it was on PS3 so I got it on iPad and, well, it doesn't control great on a touch screen. It's all swipes and gestures and too easy to do things you don't intend.

So I got the PS4 version knowing that the game has a rather cool feature in that you can sync your progress across from mobile to console and back again. So the couple of hours I put in on iPad weren't in vain.

The art style is pretty cool, it's like Team Fortress 2 but side-on. It takes the piss out of both Russia and America and the ridiculousness of the Cold War - both sides are in a race to blow up the Moon with nukes. Why? Because.

Before each level you pick which side you want to go against for that mission (CounterSpy is a third party organisation, trying to stop both super powers), taking into account which bonuses you can pick up. Then you go through taking out soldiers, finding money, articles, mission plans, weapon plans and perk plans. You can use up to 3 perks in a level and the most useful ones I used all the time was one to bring the a Defcon level down one each time and one to make your shots take out armoured guards and cameras.

The weapons are pretty smart too - silenced pistol is a must, plus a dart gun that makes enemies turn against his mates and take them out. Ultra useful when surrounded by a massive pack of cunts.

The snag for these great weapons and perks though is you have to unlock them eventually by picking up pieces in the levels so you'll start off with nothing interesting at first.

Grinding isn't a chore though because the levels are all randomly generated and they're still all pretty short. Longest level I've played is maybe 15 minutes long, depending on your style of play. Though I wouldn't really advise all guns blazing. It's an option, but the game is really geared towards stealthy play.

I don't like writing too much so I'll leave it there but well worth a tenner. Though I'm sure it'll come to PS+ down the line.

• 1 year later...

I tried this tonight. It's alright, although I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is. Am I supposed to kill everyone? Can I sneak through undetected? Why do guards act like they do, their behaviour is kind of weird to the point of unpredictability sometimes.

I'll probably play more, at least finish it so it can get off the pile and something else can be played. I don't think I have much more to say other than that, unless someone else wants to chip in.

There is a trophy for getting through a level undetected which is pretty tough.

The point is to stop both super powers from launching nukes at the moon for reasons that become clear in the end.

The end kind of reminded me of the end of Crackdown