passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Time Force

spatular

So this is like a 2d run and gun shooter, like metal slug or contra I guess, but with a time travel twist, when you die, or at any time by pressing B, you can rewind time and spawn as another character at any previous point in the level, then when you spawn your old selves are still there fighting alongside you. You can then possibly save them from death and collect them to power up your current self. Each character has a special move which you can sort of team up using the time travel, well mainly the shield guy, but I haven't done this too much. I like the one who shoots through walls. Oh and you get 30 rewinds/lives per

Level, and they're all sort of done timed as you have to finish within 60 seconds, but you can get more time, and each subsequent run becomes easier/faster with the help from your previous selves.

It's supposed to be a bit puzzle based but I haven't come across much like that yet, maybe that's more for when you want to complete the levels really fast, or get all the pickups.

I think the time travel/rewind thing is a really interesting idea, and the game is great fun and I'm really enjoying it, but it feels like there's something that could be really amazing here but it falls short of that, or maybe it will be if you're better at it or going for really quick times or something.

Not sure how many levels there are but I've done 3 time zones which are each split up into 3 sections.

The graphics are really nice pixel art, and the sound is great too. But sometimes with loads of players all over the place it's possible to lose track of your current character occasionally.

The end of level replays are ace with everything going off at the same time.

Oh and there was one jet pack bit which was really quite bad IMO.

I was really busy this week so didn't get this straight away, and was hoping to see some impressions but the forums I read seem to have gone all ps4 so there doesn't seem to be many people playing it. Anyone else pick it up? There's a demo on the 360 too if anyone's interested in giving it a try.

edit - here's a launch trailer that has little to do with the game:

completed this earlier today, was about 5 hours total i think (only one level near the end seemed to require some thinking about how to proceed). then spent another few hours replaying a few levels and trying super hardcore mode (or whatever it's called) - where if someone dies you can't use that character again unless you save them. that was pretty interesting trying to work out how to save people, as usually it's just a happy accident.

I tried doing one of the earlier levels as fast as possible by doing stuff like running into a room with 2 guys and kill the first guy, then rewind and go into the room to kill the next guy so it's like you're killing both at the same time to speed things up, which was fun trying to work stuff like that out. but my general rubbishness at games like this means i was nowhere near the time you need for an award or whatever you get for doing a level fast (iirc anyway) - what it really needs is something like gold/silver/bronze awards, i recon i'd keep trying to get bronze awards, but as it is i might not play it much more.

anyway, no regrets, it was fun and interesting enough.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty awesome. Once I understood how to use the time mechanic properly anyway.

Question to Spatular: Is Shieldy Blockerson as useless as he seems or are there levels later on more specifically designed for his skills? Or am I just misusing him and he is actually awesome?

yeah i didn't find him that useful either, but occasionally he's really handy, especially for saving people and on a few boss fights i kept running in an dying over and over again on until i used him. also i found him a bit boring to use, like it's probably a good tactic, but running round as him blocking stuff, so you can then follow him round shooting stuff, isn't very exciting.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished this, I was in the mood for it and finished it off in one sitting.

I really liked it, enough to make me want to go back and test my new found time skills on the levels I chose to do first, when I was sucky. It's the bosses I was getting wrong mostly, I wasn't grasping that the best tactic once you die is to rewind to the beginning off the boss fight and fight the whole thing again, even if you on a final form or last sliver of energy. You don't even have to die, just fight untill you run out of time then do it all again. It seems obvious but I'm a bit like that sometimes, takes a while for shit to sink in.

I was trying to collect the shards in the levels, I didnt realise at first you could go out of your way to collect/catch one, get the bugger, then rewind to a spot in the level before you went off on your tangent and the shard remains in your possession, that saved me a lot of time.

It's a shame this wont be played by many, it's worthy of everyone's... time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The waiting for games on gold thing worked out well then.

This is out on steam now, with a load of challenge levels or something, if done well I think that could be better than the main game - anyone know anything about these extra levels?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was in the mood for this again and randomly went back to get all shards and glorbs in the levels.

This is a brilliant game, the time mechanics work so well and they're so easy to use. It was a real pleasure to go back to. Highly recommended if you've never tried it before.

Reckon i'll have a go at the updates, you have the Helladeck which I don't know too much about and Super Hardcore Mode which doesn't allow you to sellect a character that has died in that previous level unless you have been able to save them via rewind which sounds like a great way to get you to play as other characters, I only ever use Jean, Amy and Jef Leopard.