passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Pocket Football Club

DANGERMAN

I don't know if anyone else played Pocket League Story, but if you did then Nintendo Pocket Football Club isn't a world away (apparently the mobile game ripped off the GBA original). It's kind of an arcade football management sim.

Your control is fairly minimal compared to Football Manager. Once you're in a match you can't really change anything except at half time and when you're making a sub, so there's no shouting instructions, quickly altering the formation, nor telling players where to run. You can single out opposition players for tighter marking, and I got a message saying that players with low 'heart' rating don't play well away, but that's about the limit of the nuance I've seen.

During matches you earn cards, these are for training. Outside a game you train an individual player using a combination of these cards. The cards will improve things like kicking, stamina, strength, speed. It's slow progress and you only get so many cards per match. Players have potential, if they're young the training will be more effective, which unfortunately means you ignore your older players because you don't have an abundance of cards. Stamina and strength seem to be key early on, my strikers were just getting shoved off the ball, and by the end of a full match I can have 4 or 5 players dead on their feet.

It takes a while to get wins, I played a lot of practice matches in preseason and only got my first win the week before the season started.

I love the look, it's a charming looking game, especially when the camera shifts around

Plugged about 3 hours in today with the ill Villains (from the Porstsmouth area). Penultimate friendly of the pre-season i got hammered 8-1. Next game against a team from a team from League 2 (which is good i think) and I beat them 1-0. Rode that wave in to the first game of the actual season, won 3-0 against Colt City or someone like that. I was cheering my goals like I was watching Villa.

Scored 5 first half goals in my second league match to secure my biggest win so far. I signed this winger pre season called Gaillard who is a revolution on the right, he's making a real difference. My third league game is in effect as I type, my keeper has saved a penalty and we have come from 1 - 0 down to 4 - 1 winners.

I can see the training i'm implementing having an effect which is quite rewarding, my defence is noticabley tighter and my two central midfielders dribble and pass the ball really well. Tweaked my formation slighly so as to have my left striker slightly higher up the pitch, the two wingman play higher than the central midfielders as do the left and right backs compared to the central defenders. I always choose the 'shoot when possible' option and try to mark the opposing teams strikers.

Loving this whilst i'm winning.

I signed a defender cheap who had Ds for pretty much everything, cost 200, and as it turned out he's got full potential, so even though I only had him for the back end of the season he's turning in to one of my better players.

I got promotion last night at my first attempt, which I'm a bit worried might be a mistake, you drop in popularity whenever you lose, and if I'm going to end up bottom of the new league all season it might have been better to miss promotion and improve my team before going up.

there's 2 worrying things when you finish a season, firstly your players can all leave if they want, you can offer them new deals but it seems like it's still a 1 season thing. I'm not sure when I find out if they've stayed or not, but it'll be a bit of a pisser if I've trained someone up and they leave at the start of a new season. The other thing is that you can then go in to the management office and pay real money to play against teams that significantly improve your defence or attack. The game isn't cheap as it is, and I'm sure you don't need to use the microtransactions, but putting that in there is bullshit imo

Not started a league game yet, but done a few friendlies, and its funny how they "rubber band" a couple of draws and then I got battered in the 2 full length games that ive done, the training did seem to pay off for one game as I won 2-1 then got humped 0-4 following game.

I can see the potential, might give this a bit longer.

I wouldn't waste your time with the full length practice matches, they knacker your players out and you don't seem to get many more cards for it (and they take longer). Not that I'm an expert, I've only just finished a season :lol:

make sure you pretty much are always playing the practice matches though, I've not really seen the little green dot for fatigue change yet, although there's cup games at the end of the season that might do it

Played a few more practice games, its quite good fun, although my 3ds just died on me, go through my first proper season game and drew 1-1 after 87 mins being in the lead!!le

If Nintendo went into mobile games this would be perfect for an ipad or iphone, just sayin.....

when you get in to the 2nd league you start to need a bigger squad. I think I've only had one week off, and 6 games in to the season I've had to rest 3 players because they've gone down to yellow.

The transfer market isn't great, I got that defender I was on about who's been decent, but it's hard to go and buy someone better than what you've got, and some of the more expensive players aren't all that great. I bought a midfielder to pad out my bench who I've managed to make reasonable, but the only player I've signed with stats arguably better than what I've got is a winger who is pretty quick (B for speed) but had E for heart and strength

Ive wanged 11 and a half hours in to this.

I bought that special team training option for two quid, sme sort of team of nerds and geeks with supr analytical powers that actually improve as the match progresses. In the close season I exclusively trained against them. I never beat them mind, drew twice but they are so awesome by the end of the match, unless you score 4 or 5 in the first half whilst they are still shit your fucked. What you do get at the end is a combination of cards that can be used to unlock special training techniques. Like for example, combining the stretching card with the kicking card gives you Volley Shot, useful for strikers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17LnbSWJsP53Ip5uZ1rQBx7kB-wa4dmfxrId7ctq0V4U/edit?usp=sharing'>HERE is a link to a google doc with about 100 combos, use the knowledge of those that have spent money or been lucky. I stubled across one called Gal Sniffer that I cant re-create.

I'm in to the second season now. Ive yet to lose a match but its not all smooth sailing like the first season. I'm wasting a handful of chances every game that have cost me a couple of points, i was really lucky to escape with a draw after the opposing team hit the bar in injury time. I stand second in the table with two wins and two draws.

I'm still really enjoying it but I'm not sure how long it will be till it just feels like a repetitive formula that bores me. I hope never.