passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ys: Memories of Celceta

DANGERMAN

This is out tomorrow but I've had it for a bit and probably should have got around to making a thread by now.

If you've not played an Ys game before then Ys is kind of like Zelda, Story of Thor, Secret of Mana, erm Dark Saviour, any other slashy action-jrpg, except it's ALL ON ALL THE TIME. No backwards step, no hesitation, no fucking mercy. You see a monster and you beat the fuck out of it. It's a bloodlust of a game

except it's actually quite nice, no swearing or anything, no blood, but it's not a game where you make a lot of use out of the block button. There's an evade button that's used all the time, but mainly because it's quicker to forward roll than walk. Time a dodge right and you'll slow town time for a bit, time a block and you'll be able to counter with more damage. There's skill moves that take SP to use, but so long as you haven't swung at anything for about a second your next hit will fill a chunk of that meter

Assuming there's still enemies in the vicinity the only reason you'll need to stop attacking is to refill health. In Oath in Felghana enemies dropped enough health that you pretty rarely needed to heal, here they don't, instead you have to stop for a while and let it fill up slowly. Alternatively you can use items, but given you have a free method they're probably best saved for when you need them. There's also monuments, these heal you as soon as you go near them, they also let you warp around the game world

The game world is huge, it feels like you can go all over the place at first, but it's actually quite linear, although there is loads of places to explore. And you should explore ans that's often how you find the best equipment. There's also items in the game that let you progress, so if there's a row of trees blocking your path, there's probably a relic that will solve that problem for you later.

But yeah, Ys Memories of Celceta is another Ys game, a fairly long one at that. It's great though, I've got a review up on bitparade, no video or anything so if I've not explained it very well it's because I'm not convinced anyone here is going to be too interested in it :lol:

I'm 'near' the end, although I think that's another 2 towns, which means probably another 6 hours? I'm 22 hours in, 87% of the map completed, so it's quite a long game as far as something like this goes, I think I completed Oath in Felghana in about 2 days (steam says 17 hours, it's probably less actual game time). I might play for a little tonight then knock it on the head for a bit, not that I'm tired of it but I got sent another game the other day I should probably play (and I need to play fucking Blackguards :fist: )

I finished this yesterday and I don't really have a lot to add to what I've said but I have a habit of not posting about a game after my first post. The game doesn't change a lot, it drops the routine of new town=misunderstanding with Adol = new character in your party routine, but you're still just rolling around smacking the shit out of things. It stays fun though, which is a huge compliment to it.

The low point of the game, apart from some of the towns, is a dungeon right at the end of the game where you have to rotate the platforms to make progress. It only took about half an hour to play through but when I saw what it was the other night I turned the vita off and didn't turn it back on for 2 days. Aside from that the penultimate boss required a load of health potions, I hadn't really been using a lot, but the 20 I had saved up didn't last long (I could have swapped characters out rather than heal them).

If you've never played an Ys game before it doesn't seem a bad place to start