passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Steamworld Dig

DANGERMAN

I played through this in the past couple of days, it's pretty good but I didn't enjoy it as much as some people. It's kind of Mr Driller except without a time limit. You go in to a mine, dig, get some precious stones, go back up to the surface and sell them. This lets you buy better tools which makes digging a bit easier and improve your health. There's extra moves unlocked in sub caves that add a drill, sprinting, double jumps etc.

The problem with it is that you can end up a long way down before you have to head back up (because your health or light is running low), if you don't have enough orbs (rare currency rather than the gold from selling stones), which you probably wont, then you wont be able to buy a teleport and will have to climb all the way back up and all the way back down.

It's compulsive though, you might as well just head back down and get some more stones to sell, it wont take all that long. The problem is that it's really not the type of game that you should play for a long time, there's just too much fannying about heading back to the surface because your light has ran out, or your bags full. It is good though, just don't play it all at once

• 1 month later...

Put a couple of hours into this before I head out to work.

I really like it but am starting to find the enemies too tough. According to the female robot who buys your wares off you, I should be near the end (at least of the Old Mines that I'm in) and have picked up a fair few extra abilities.

It's good but as DangerBen says above, a lot of time consuming grinding is needed. That's if there's any decent gems left.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed the grind for stuff. so much so that it didnt really feel like a grind. I got all OCD on this mutherfunker and started going back though earlier mines and getting all the gems and stones I'd missed, once I had the locator that made them show up on the map of course. And the more stuff I retrieved the more power ups I could buy and the more powerful I became - I always enjoy games that allow you to go back through earlier levels as a mighty God and piss over everything.

I would always go back and make a pretty straight decent down one side of each cave, making climbing and descending pretty easy when the need arose.

I dunno, I dont really have a bad word to say about the game, I was hooked from start to finish. Not what I was expecting at all.

• 1 month later...

I am really enjoying this. I'm quite a way in I think (lasers?!) after two sittings. Doesn't feel like grinding at all, I think because you have to plan your route or escape too.

Had no idea what it was going to be like and picked it up on a whim in the sales, love it :D