passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Animal Crossing New Leaf

Sly Reflex

It's more Animal Crossing. Something have been taken away. Something have been added. Some things have been altered.

The game starts out as the usual AC games do, you are riding into a new village. You chat with Rover for a bit (his self referencing jokes are LOL!) and put in your name and village name. He then shows you some maps that you can pick from, I think there are 5 or something. New users note, the paved area is the town square, the purple building is the town hall and the pink building is Re-Tail, the village replacement for Nook's shop. The train station is always in the same place on every map.

Once you get off the train you are greeted by the locals and taken to the town hall and asked more questions, one of which is where you live. This is when you are introduced to the street across the tracks, where Nook follows you back into town and lets you take a plot of land for building a house on. However, the tight bastard won't build anything until you put a down payment on the house, until you do this you are stuck living in a tent he lends you.

After that it's time for you to be commemorated as mayor, you plant a tree in the town square and the game begins properly. As in, thats all the hand holding you're about to get, now get the fuck out there and explore.

For a start it looks absolutely stunning, they have tweaked the art style just a wee tad so the game looks more 3D than it's predecessors. The water reflects and the grass has a weird shine to it like it's made from fabric. It really does look pretty. The trees look thicker and fuller too, instead of just being decals.

Other nice things I've noticed as an improvement over WW are:-

Blathers no longer give you a history lesson when giving him things so you only get to hear those facts once. Now all the facts are in the museum in the exhibit.

You can give Blathers several donations at once. Any items he has already received are returned to your backpack.

Fishing has had a tweak. The biggest fish now show dorsal fins over the waters surface. This might have been in CF, but I'm not sure. It's still a nice touch.

All fishes caught now have a length attached to them, instead of just when fishing competitions are on. You can beat your best record.

I'm pretty sure more fish have been added to the roster. I'm a pretty keen fisher in these games as I find it the easiest way to make money. Already I've seen several fish I've never seen before.

Same with bugs. I don't have a bugnet yet, but I can tell that I've not seen certain ones just by looking at them.

You can now fully customise your houses fascia. It's no longer just down to what colour roof you have, everything is changeable. Even your mailbox.

Rocks can drop valuable items when smashed.

Each player has a locker in the trainstation, items kept in these boxes will be available no matter which town you go to.

Plus there's a load of other stuff they've put in to make life easier.

Stuff I don't like:-

Some things are blocked off from the off.

No Brewster. No Crunk. No Celeste. No police/guard dogs. No shoe shine guy. Or at least not yet.

I cannot find a way to change the town flag. I cannot find a way to change the town tune.

You get charged for selling trash, why not have a disposal area or let you get rid of it for free?

They still have not added wordwrap to letter writing, despite it being a problem since the original AC.

Lost and found is apparently gone.

The backpack is smaller.

The new stuff I generally like though, searching out wanted items for Re Tail so you get more bells gives you something to do. Making some items purchasable for Nintendo coins should be part of every single 3DS game as to get people walking about and street passing.

The music is fabulous from what I've heard of it too. All the old tunes you recognise have been redone, jazzed up and remixed. They sound really deep and warm coming through the 3DS' speakers, something which surprised me quite a bit seeing as the speakers on the 3DS can make even the most amazing music tinny and unbearable. Maybe it's down to the minimalist aproach to the loops or something, I'm not sure. They've done a great job with them anyway.

I know I'm rambling now and I don't really think you can sell ACNL on a few hours play across one day. Time will tell if it is really good through continuous play. Nearly all signs are positive though. I feel that this is going to be a cracker.

Footnote. My towns called Clapton and I have cherries. Come and visit if you decide to get the game.

Also, I have a spare Nintendo code if someone is short of getting that free game promotion. I can't see myself buying any other games for the 3DS, I already have a shit load to play.

:lol:

He's actually a lot more jovial than previous version. Probably because the miserly bastard has 2 shops now.

I spent a few hours playing tonight online with Tromadogg.It's buttery smooth. No lag or anything. Playing online is dead easy and unobtrusive, although it does prevent you from donating stuff to the museum. Not such a big thing. Having to type everything you want to say out in the tiny space is a bit wack though.

I have four fruits now. Cherries, apples, oranges and pears. Now all I need is an axe so I can clear some land and get a fruit farm up and running. You're all free to come and take what fruit you want as soon as I have everything up and running.

I've only played a little of this but I'm pretty pleased to be back in an Animal Crossing blanket. I'm still living in my tent and have managed to save up 7000 bells for that cunt Nook so he'll build my house.

I only went and sold my net today, i feel like a right fucking mug. Went yo buy it back but that little Nook shut his shop at 10pm so he can get molested by his dad.

After spending so much time on the original DS and the Gamecube before that its lovely to play this, its familiar yet new all at the same time.

Tomorrow is another day in illville, happy times so far.

The besties stuff works brilliantly doesn't it? I'll be broadcasting turnip prices and stuff like that when I get on. You'll have to be added if you want in on some of that.

I just paid off my loan to Nook for my house. I want a bloody axe and a bugnet. I had Ratso of Cane & Rinse fame visit too. He gave me a house warming present.

join someones game or host a game, then press the icon in the lower left with the heads on and tap the heart so it becomes filled in. Both parties have to do this. I'll open my gates now for an hour so either of you guys can jump in and get bestied.

Started this last night, but couldn't visit anywhere because I didn't have my photo and after buying a shovel and stuff I only had 492 out of the 500 bells I needed. :(

Just saw this on GRcade forum.

Dunno if you guys know this already but here's a money making tip for ya.

Once a day a rock in your town will give you bells when you hit it with a shovel.

But it's on a timer, so as soon as you hit it the first time you have to hit it as many times as you can before it stops giving money.

The best way to do this is to dig a hole behind yourself so that you don't get pushed back and can just constantly hit it until it runs dry.

I got about 12000 bells doing this this morning.

I just did this, and got over 8000 Bells. :o

I was too late to catch any bugs, so didn't place.

Saturday night has been and almost gone, I couldn't find KK though. /sadface

I should have a bigger house tomorrow and access to the island. I should be able to build something too, although I'm not sure what. I just know I got my respect up to 100% but it never really told me what for. Knowing AC it'll probably kick me in the balls and ask for 250,000 bells before I can throw anything up.

Wonder if Sow Joan will be doing the rounds tomorrow morning?

She is indeed! Bought me 100 turnips at 90 bells per 10.

Got my gold bug trophy in the mail as well as waking up in my first house. Sydney has invited me to her house at 10am, just a social, you know. Good Sunday so far.