passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Combat pics versus game pics

shaolin_monkey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-16745015

Posted in GTM forum also.

Discuss!

Yet again, connections are made between realistic shooters on PC and console, versus the actual reality of modern warfare. The article suggests PTSD is a possibility after playing something like Battlefield 3.

I find the idea preposterous, but most likely because I have experienced both, whereas many will be blissfully unaware of how debilitating actual violence is. Having suffered injury at the hands of other people, while bodily healed, mentally the fight goes on. It has been about 6-7 years since I encountered violence, and still I suffer adrenaline spikes, rushes of blood to the head, elevated heart rate and flashbacks.

I have never, ever encountered anything like that after playing on any violent computer game. The worst negative feeling I have encountered is disappointment a being so shit at them. The best is mild elation and a sense of excitement. Also a feeling of empowerment and control.

There is NO threat of physical harm while sat a a PC! Therefore there is no likelihood of suffering PTSD.

I've posted as such underneath the article, but as usual it is being poo-pooed.

All this is doing though, is advertising Arma 2, isn't it?

I think some of those pics are pretty close, but the one with the Iraqis by the wall looks pretty dodgy. It's scary how close we're getting to reality though, and when people say they can't see how another generation can improve on what we have, I'm always amazed - another 10 years and you won't know the difference between film footage and cut scene.