passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bejewelled Blitz

Hendo

Bejeweled is back on Xbox LIVE with Bejeweled Blitz LIVE, a new game adapted from the original Facebook app released in 2010. Addictive like all other Bejeweled games? Oh, yes. Why? Well, that’s the Blitz part. In each game mode, you have only one minute (one minute!) to swap your jewels, make your matches, and rack up your scores. This is fast-paced and hectic gaming action, but timed right so you want to keep playing JUST one more game. Until it’s three in the morning.

With only one minute to make your moves, the special effects around matches and cascades can be distracting. And the voiceover callout at thirty seconds with a countdown from ten seconds on will get in your head, too. Focus! Players who have fast reflexes and can see the board overall at once will have a distinct advantage.

Single-player game modes include Classic and Twist. Classic is the normal awesome Bejeweled play. When you see score multiplier gems, be sure to match them quickly so you can increase your score for all subsequent gem matches. Remember, you don’t have much time! Making 4-gem and 5-gem strings is the key to increasing scores. Switching gems is easy once you learn the mechanic of highlighting the gem you want to move, then pressing the A/B/X/Y buttons to move the gem in that direction. Another unusual game mechanic is the awarding of experience points in order for you to go up a level. Leveling doesn’t seem to do much but it is in a factor in the achievements.

After you’ve mastered Classic, try Twist mode. Twist mode first debuted in a standalone game in 2008, and it’s something else entirely to wrap your head around. In Twist, your reticule surrounds four gems at once and you can turn the group of gems clockwise or counter-clockwise one step at a time. Envisioning the board after a potential move is the key here to racking up scores. But you still have to be fast.

If you think minute-long rounds are frantic, though, welcome to multiplayer. You can play multiplayer in either Classic or Twist mode. Challenge a friend locally or over Xbox LIVE to see just who has the quickest matching skills.

If you have more than one friend, get ready for some Bejeweled battles. Up to sixteen people can play at one time, and the game ingeniously tracks the leader with small gamerpic icons appearing in the field at the left of the grid. The icons reposition themselves according to the current score of the game. With each round only lasting a minute, even if you’re way behind at some point, a new game is just about to start.

Bejeweled Blast LIVE calls itself “the most explosive sixty seconds on Xbox LIVE,” and while we do have a lot of ‘splodey things on Xbox LIVE, you have to admit they might be right.

Anyone bought this on XBLA? I'm about to give the trial a go and would be up for some highscore table action.

I have the iOS version and illdizzle has the WP7 one so I guess this can be the place for all Bejewelled talk. Not that there's much to say about the simplest of "match 3" games but it is as addictive as shit to a fly.

I just coughed up for the full version of this, although I'm not entirely sure why - I think it may have been something to do with all the addictive explody shit happening, and the missus seemed to be getting well into it too...

Those minute long rounds are literally gone in a flash and the woman doing the countdown is now my least favourite person in the world (the fucking bitch!), but other than that it's all good!!

Bought it though I do suck balls at it. There's only me and Rob on my leaderboard though.

I'm proper struggling to even get 100,000 points on Classic, the less said about Twist the better.

I'm used to the control of using the face buttons to move different ways on Classic but a stick isn't the best method of controlling a block puzzle game when you've got a tight time limit. I really can't get my head around playing Twist.

You can't beat a bit of bejewelled blitz on the iphone especially on a lunch break!! I use it to play against my team at work, top score ever is 600,000 ish regular score is about 300,000 ish, its very addictive and is the one thing i won't be taking on holiday with me.

Bought it though I do suck balls at it. There's only me and Rob on my leaderboard though.

I'm proper struggling to even get 100,000 points on Classic, the less said about Twist the better.

Me too! Out of the 3 or 4 hours I've played total, I've only reached 90K+ 3 or 4 times... :(

Then the missus gets home tonight, gets 100K on her first go, and then has the nerve to just pip my hi-score on her third go!! :( :(

The one other guy on my friend list with it has a hi-score of 500K on it, and checking the XP (which is kinda indicative of 'time played' I guess) leaderboard, he has less than half of my XP?! :( :( :(

Like you say, using a stick/d-pad to move the cursor around really isn't the ideal method when you're seriously pushed for time! And yeah, my brain was not designed to cope with Twist... It'd be nice to have the option to turn the time-limit (and therefore hi-score upload) off, to give you a chance to actually figure out how to play it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Broke the 100,000 mark - got 138,000 on Classic. I can't see me ever getting 500,000 on it though and Twist still hurts my head.

Also only me and Rob on my friends list so the friends list achievement of getting a million combined on the leaderboard will probably never happen.

I did try online and first went for Battle Live which is a two player versus game, all split-screen and everything so wanted to check out the Party Live, which I figured would only be for friends online - it's not, it's where everyone plays their own game and there's a thing on the side that's like each person in a bubble and the bubbles float up depending on how well they're doing, so you can see who is winning. It's good, and unlike Battle Live, it's drop-in drop-out as you feel.

First I was surprised that this was going for 800 points but now I can see why and if you're not totally bonkers for Bejewelled, I'd wait for the inevitable 400 point sale.

• 2 weeks later...

As 'Classic' mode has now begun to really annoy me (girlfriend's fault <_< ), I spent an hour or so last night trying to get my head around 'Twist'.

Rather than actually trying to score high, I just took my time figuring out how to make a '6 in a row' Supernova gem (and get the cheevo at the same time ;)). Once I'd got that sussed, things were beginning to click and the points started to flood in, reaching the 100K mark in a couple of games...

I like the fact that it feels like you have more control over the gems in Twist, as you can actually move them around the whole board as you see fit, which means the annoying 'luck' element of Classic mode is less annoying here... However the cheevo for reaching 200K+ in both modes back-to-back, is still a long way off!

• 3 months later...

Had me some of this for 200 points.

Its fucking addictive, little bite sized games a minute per go and i played for 2 hours last night. Loving Twist, its kind of like Hexic Rush on the Windows Phone so i was at home here straight away. Need friends and score for the Popularity Tycoon achievement!

I got this today, really odd playing it with a pad and not a touch screen as normal. One thing i would of liked to see is a link to your facebook account, its the same game and that way i wouldn't need my iphone, maybe on blitz 2 eh.

I dont know what to think of it to be honest, the trial isnt really much to go on.

Yeah the trial doesn't give you nearly enough goes to get properly stuck into it.

I like to think of it as Bejewelled with the franticness of Geometry Wars... that description was enough to sell it to a couple of friends.