passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

HandsomeDead

Another Xbox original I didn't play but always wanted too, bought off M$'s luxury download service, like their answer to the Disney shop.

First Impressions, man, this game is ugly. Its the creepy, robotic animation that is the worst offender, it looks like all that CGI stuff pre-Pixar that would turn up on television or on budget PS1 games. What makes it stranger is that some of the voice work is pretty good, those two things together are stranger than if it had bad voice acting.

Overall it feels pretty cheap and the combat is the worst thing I've experienced in a game, truly woeful.

But I like it, I really like it. I think this game is a sequel to a point and click game on the PC and it still has a point and click thing going, you have inventory which you can combine and make them interact with the scenery. Thankfully there has been very little combat and all of it has been possible to avoid, I think they should took it out completely.

So far I'm playing it purely for the story which I've really enjoyed so far, I'm liking it more than I would any traditional point and click game, something about them make me never go back to them but since this is sort of like old style Resident Evil (really loosely, there is probably a better comparison) I can get into it more.

I always wanted this originally but never got round to buying it, and to be honest I'd completely forgotten about it until reading this thread. Though the impressions don't seem that good! i shall await more impressions..and then most likely completely forget about the game again!

Yeah, on a gameplay level it isn't good, combat is rare but it physically hurts to play, there are also stealth sections thar are really simplistic, but as I'm not a fan of the stealth genre I'm happy that they aren't complicated and drawn out.

I've played it loads since, its just a great story, everyone in it is beleivable and likable, like real people (ignoring the bad animation) despite it jumping from a sci-fi setting to a fantasy one. The plot has it all; corperate corruption, brainwashing, mystery, romance, trolls, religious war and robots. It stays consistently interesting, I keep finding myself playing 'til the next chapter, then the next one, then the one after that...

Its hard to say if its a good game, because it probably isn't but I can't help but enjoy the ride, its just a great story I guess. I don't think there is anything else to say about it without going into spoilers which I don't want to do.