passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Phone Games & Apps

Hendo

Some apps have been majorly updated recently.

Facebook finally gets a good update:

Facebook version 2.0 offers iPhone users functions that many felt were missing from the original offering. The biggest upgrades come via interactions with the social networking site, making navigating through friends, pictures and comment threads feel more like using the site through the Web.

The Facebook App version 2.0 claims to launch more quickly than its predecessors and boasts stability as one of its biggest improvements. This is especially important for iPhone users who felt the application lumbering along while it tried to load a large number of friends.

Apple iPhone users can also look forward to the full news feed and news feed comments. The Facebook news feed was one of the initial developments that made the social networking site so popular with users. By bringing that capability to the iPhone, Facebook is offering one of its core elements to users on the go.

One feature that was surprisingly lacking from the initial incarnation of the iPhone app was the friend request feature. Users couldn't search for people they knew or accept friend requests that had been sent to them. Version 2.0 fixes this flaw.

The photo capabilities on Facebook are also significantly upgraded. Users can now tag photos and upload photo captions to their network from the iPhone.

The last noteworthy upgrade involves communication on the site. With Facebook iPhone App version 2.0, users can access their inbox and include message attachments to their outgoing e-mails.

Aurora Feint has friend codes and the community feature is in place! w00t

I also downloaded a couple of new apps early this morning but I'll go into detail about them later when I'm not in a rush.

Cool.

New facebook is MUCH better.

I'm still looking for the ULTIMATE iphone game.

Arora Feint is awesome and i am really enjoying Spore still... although its getting a little bit tired now....

I really want to see something massively addictive... with scores and leaderboards and so on. Lots of stuff out there still seems to be just testing the waters.

I'm sure you can already upload from your picture folder to the Facebook app, but that's a cool thing to have.

I got Cube Runner a while ago and it's definitely worth a look. There's not much to it at all, but as a tech demo it shows that a Star Fox game could work with the tilt controls.

I got two free ones to check out:

Super Ball 2 Lite

It's Breakout/Arkanoid/whatever and it's free so go for it. :)

I'm not sure I'd buy the full version but that's only £1.79. The paid one has 300 levels so if you like the free version it's probably worth it.

Stanza

This is an essential download, should come with the hardware.

It's an eReader and you can download free books straight to the app, using the app. Using the law that is "copyright holds for life plus 50 years" I had a quick swoop and picked up 1984, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Animal Farm, Dracula, Frankenstein, Grimm's Fairy Tales, The Antichrist, The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds and Through The Looking Glass.

There was also a little bit on a new iPhone game on this weeks' 1up Yours called Soul Trapper but it's not on the Store yet.

It's a little bit closer to my idea of what an iPhone game could be - it's a text adventure but all done through voice acting, so you listen to essentially a radio play and then interact with it by pressing whichever icon on the display.

I've been looking over the barious sudoku apps on there and eventually plumped for EnjoySudoku, its not as polished as the hudson effort, but it comes with tons of puzzles and a guide to various tips and techniques on how to play the game beyond the obvious.

Also downloaded a freebie called Dactyl. Its a bomb defusing game, basically its wak-a-mole kinda effort but with bombs. Nice and simple, looks good and plays well, worth a look.

Been playing both of those games, Jimbo, and they're good fun. :)

Am I right that the Soduku one stores all the puzzles on a server and you download them, rather than being in the game file?

Got some essential free apps that should be installed for sure:

Movies

Made by Flixster, but you don't need an account to use it. Has loads of trailers to watch, you can search for cinemas near you, what they're showing and when, links to Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB, etc.

If you're a movie buff you should get this installed pronto.

Around Me

Uses GPS or your postcode and finds bars, clubs, restaurants, cafés, cinemas, hospitals, petrol stations, car parks, supermarkets, taxis, theatres and banks near you. Tells you how far away they are, brings up the directions using the built-in Maps app, the place's phone number, you can email the address and directions to someone else. It's an absolute must install.

fring

Another instant messenger app.

This one you can use Skype though! Also, MSN, Google Talk, ICQ, Twitter, Yahoo and AIM.

You know that you are a product of the 21st century when you go for a dump and come out fifteen mintues later having spent £6

I finally cracked and purchased KROLL (along with a couple of 59p apps)

Kroll is a technical achievement beyond words at the moment in terms of iphone games. The polish on this title is admirable and aparently they threw it together in two weeks.

The game its self is pretty short.... but what iphone game isn't!!

Graphically (for the phone) its brilliant and the controls are very simple. Unfortunately the game play is a bit too simplistic too... but once again its a GREAT start for the platform and very promising.

You know that you are a product of the 21st century when you go for a dump and come out fifteen mintues later having spent £6

:lol:

So true.

That Kroll game does look pretty cool, but I think I'll give it a miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever add bookmarks to your home screen and they don't come with a nice icon, does the little bit of unreadable text it uses instead get your OCD senses going, well fear not, now you can replace those shitty looking bookmarks with a nice, web 2.0 style icon

Linky

Some clever chap has made a java app that lets you pic the icon you want your bookmarks to have on your home screen, perfect for RSS feeds (see picture). Its probably not healthy at all just how happy this has actually made me.

If you want to do it just follow the instructions on the link. It comes with 6 pre made icons, or you can upload your own as well.

post-166-1224450389.jpg

PhotoSwap

Price: Free

Developer: Padadaz

Category: Social Networking

Recommended by Elmo on Joypod, this is one of the few apps that won't work with the iTouch because it uses the camera.

You take a picture and when you press "send" you receive a picture that someone else has just sent. It's all random, but you can reply to people's photos (not via text, just via another photo) and people have gotten pretty creative playing games of noughts and crosses and communicating via writing messages on laptops, monitors or just plain pen and paper.

It's been known for people to get, um, naked, but you can report anything you find offensive easily enough.

You can also use the GPS and find where the other person is via the maps app. All settings are in the General Settings of the iPhone.

Found this on Eurogamer:

Lazrhog has ported the Kenta Cho shoot-'em-up rRootage to iTunes (thanks Kotaku).The game is free, importantly, but you will have to buy an iPod Touch or an iPhone to play - it's those hidden charges again.

rRootage involves continually shooting at a mother ship while avoiding baddies. Simple. You control the ship with your finger, and activate special powers by tapping the touch-screen with another digit.

Kenta Cho is the boss behind Japanese freeware creator ABA Games. His projects are usually bonkers reinterpretations of retro favourites.

Head over to the ABA Games website to try some of his free work.

I have to be honest and say that I've never heard of Kenta Cho but I gave it a download and it's alright. It shows that a shoot-'em-up can work on the platform, but there's currently no sound on this version and it's just pretty much the same boss over and over, so it's pretty dull. Unless I'm missing something.

Click me.

Played about with it, and that video pretty much sums it up, there's not much more to it than that, but it's only a couple of quid.

You can set it to play music for you, with seemingly random notes, and you can add notes to it yourself. Or you can play entirely on your own with the notes looping round. You can change the delay and the coloured theme, freeze certain passages if you like, shake the system to clear all the notes and patterns, and that's about it.

I can see this being pretty useful for the times when it's difficult to get to sleep.

Wow photo swap is cool

Apart from the fact that its mainly populated by creepy guys trying to get chicks to send saucy pics to them.... there are a few decent people on there too.

I changed my profile to say no sleazy pervs please..... send me something interesting or thought provoking which seemed to help.

One dude sent me a pic of his naked leg... dangerously close to his crotch... and still had his socks on.... ewwwwwwwww.

And here I am.

Adrenaline Pool Lite

Price: Free / £2.99

Developer: Eurocenter

Type: Game

Not without its problems, but this is quite a nifty game of pool that has online play! I also found it incredibly easy to find an opponent which was a good sign. The differences between the free and paid one - free version you can't choose a nickname, you can't use an avatar, no ranking, no offline mode against the CPU, etc.

There's a chat function too and last night I played against some American kid who thought it was "awesome" that I was in "England". <_<

The problems are (on this version at least): the physics are a little wonky, the aim of the cue seems a bit of a struggle to spin round, the chat box sometimes obscures the play. But download the free one and have a play cos I'm thinking about ponying up as you can customise your online search and it's like a decent WFC lobby, where you can search friends only and stuff.

Google Earth

Developer: Google

Type: App

Like the built-in maps app but much much better, though I think it's missing the ability to plot a direction using GPS.

You can tilt the device and it tilts your viewpoint which is pretty cool.

I Say Free

Developer: Webworks and Applications

It's Simon Says. It's free.

iTalk Recorder

Developer: Griffin Technology

Type: App

It's a voice recorder and it's very good! You can choose from 3 levels of recording quality and sync the device up with the PC or Mac and send the files over.

I think it's only free for a limited time so you might as well grab it now.

JellyCar

Developer: Walaber

I loved the XNA demo version that popped up ages ago and this is the same deal, but I can't even do the first level! I think I'm missing something. :(

Bar my stupidity, it's a quality game and should be snapped up by all who have the gear.

PAC-MAN Lite

Developer: Namco

Only one level, and apparently it doesn't work on a 1st gen iPod Touch which has pissed people off, but it shows great potential in that there's a choice of 3 different control methods:

You can press on a virtual d-pad to control it (which is arse), you can tilt to control it (which is arse) or you can swipe directions with your finger (which is not arse).

There's a full version for £3.49 but it's freekin' Pac-Man and I'm not paying that unless it's Championship Edition. But try the free one.

Touch Hockey

Developer: FlipSide5, Inc.

It's Air Hockey and it's really good. The CPU is good to play against and there is a local wifi multiplayer in there too.