passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Scarlett Johansson does Tom Waits

Hendo

I always hoped this would be a big lie, but Miss Johansson has indeed made a covers album of Tom Waits songs. I'm just not sure where I stand with this - he's so awesome and she's so unbelievably hot but the two together can't be good.

Anywhere I Lay My Head, out 5/20 on Atco/Rhino, collects ten covers and an original ("Song For Jo") co-written by Scarlett and the album's producer, Dave Sitek of TV On The Radio.

Scarlett and Dave spent five weeks recording the album at Dockside Studio in in Maurice, Louisiana last fall, collaborating with members of Sitek's extended indie rock family, including Celebration, Jaleel Bunton (TVOTR), and Yeah Yeah Yeahs' guitarist Nick Zinner. TVOTR fanboy David Bowie lends vocals on two tracks ("Falling Down" and "Fannin' Street"). Well she certainly knows how to get our attention. Not that that's ever been a problem.

Sitek's unmistakable mark is all over the project, his thick production often vying with Scarlett's multi-tracked baritone contralto (thanks Jack) for the listener's attention. They recorded "tons of layers of insane stuff," Dave offered in a Q&A session that followed the playback portion of the evening, mocking himself as an "overproducer." He said he was going for a "cough medicine/Tinkerbell" vibe, an illustrative laugh line that'll probably seep its way into the press release (and most subsequent pieces) on the record. Rumbling organs, screeching guitars, banjo, and a large hand-wound music box (featured on "I Wish I Was in New Orleans") are supplemented with found sounds of the bayou: bird calls on "Song For Jo" and crickets and dogs on "I Don't Want To Grow Up." Sitek recalled the strange experience of "sitting with your friends trying to tune down crickets at 5:30 in the morning."

The producer praised the red-blooded, visceral Americana painted by the Waits songbook, and its undercurrent of "heartbreak and hard work." Johansson cited Waits's beautiful melodies and distinct voice. The duo did seek the songwriter's blessing before pursuing the project (he said OK, phew!) but have not spoken directly with him since the project's completion. Johansson has heard that Tom is pleased with the result. We do know he was at least curious to hear it.

ScarJo claims she hasn't thought about touring behind the record, but admits that the right "user-friendly" environment -- "Scarletpalooza," suggested Sitek -- might coax her to perform live. "It would be a shame not to," she admitted, but the prospect makes her nervous. "I think it will happen." She also admitted to massive stage fright. Johansson, of course, performed with Jesus & Mary Chain at Coachella last year, and no one rioted.

Here's the album's tracklist:

Anywhere I Lay My Head

01 "Fawn" (Alice)

02 "Town With No Cheer" (Swordfish Trombones)

03 "Falling Down" (Big Time)

04 "Anywhere I Lay My Head" (Rain Dogs)

05 "Fannin' Street" (Orphans)

06 "Song for Jo" (original)

07 "Green Grass" (Real Gone)

08 "I Wish I Was in New Orleans" (Small Change)

09 "I Don't Want To Grow Up" (Bone Machine)

10 "No One Knows I'm Gone" (Alice)

11 "Who Are You?" (Bone Machine)

I know I'll end up buying it and weeping with every song that gets brutally murdered by a woman who (let's be fair) isn't famous for her acting skills and certainly not her singing voice.

Here's the official video of first single, Falling Down (the original is genius) featuring David Bowie:

BbfFsm2MRes

And how it should sound:

ksbaPmRDa60

It's not awful, just not all that memorable. It is quite odd sounding though, and she's picked some good songs, so I guess credit to her for that. I'm not going to say anything nasty at all

Did you ever hear Norah Jones last album? She covered a Tom Waits song (might be on her 2nd album) but one of the songs from her last one (which i dont own, but was on Radio 2 once) was a proper mental Waits-esque number. She got my complete respect after that

EDIT: Long Way Home

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6GGqlA1kd4&hl=en"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6GGqlA1kd4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6GGqlA1kd4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

By remote chance, I've actually got the first two Norah Jones albums and yeah, Long Way Home is on the second.

Still, you can't got more theatrical than Mr Waits, no one can touch him on his own songs.

1wfamPW3Eaw

R_0E7x3Nqys