passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

DANGERMAN

I suspect I might be the only person on the site that buys this, but oh well.

It seems pretty good so far, and it's definately a laugh. You pick an event selection, then a character, and it actually matters who you pick. Generally you get a track event, a skill event (say shooting, or trampolining) and a field event (hammer, long jump etc) But that's not a given, so picking Sonic to win the track event everytime might backfire if you end up having swimming as your sprint event.

The refreshing thing is that, anyone can win the whole thing; just because you're a gamer doesnt mean you've got an advantage. There's a surprising amount of skill involved too, it's not complicated but things like timing and how powerful you move the remote affect performance

The Skeet (shooting) is really good as is the trampolining, and the swimming for that matter. In fact we've not played a bad game yet

Something that made me laugh is that no one knows any of the charaters beyond the likes of Mario/Luigi/Sonic/Tails

It's not quite as basic as that. The 100m is the only one that has you only shaking the remote. The hurdles for example require you to jump at the right time to get a boost, long jump it's a short sprint then about timing your jump with the right power. In fact the skill factor is quite well done. Swimming makes you come up for air, but if you time it right you can get a boost, so it's as much about composure as who has the mightiest wanking arm. And that's not mentioning the likes of Trampolining, archery, skeet, fencing and the like

But I dare say you'll have shoulders like Samus' suit if you play it enough

• 1 month later...

Yeah, fuck me it knackers you out like crazy.

The good things:

There's loads to do, loads of different activities, loads of variety, a cool alternative to Wii Sports (but a lot more depth), some decent (but shallow) minigames that if you complete will give you facts and figures about the games, a lot of fun in multi, online leaderboards and shit.

The bad things:

It hurts.

Oh, and sometimes the controls may actually be quite obvious but as you're reading the descriptions of the controls before you start, there's that much to remember that it may confuse you.

Nothing major to gripe about, another great Wii game to add to the list of decent but maybe not AAA games that the Wii has.

Another game that will get ignored by the cool kids.

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from making me exhausted, the only thing I don't like is that the controls aren't maybe as simplistic as they could be. It means that people with skill should do better, but there's no way I'd plonk this on for my old folks (for example).