passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wifi Question

RivaOni

I dont have wireless net, or even a dongle, but I remember my next door neighbour saying he managed to get his PSP online and that someone on our estate has wireless internet.

So last night I decided to check, I managed to find a connection, best of all its the family who cause all the problems on the estate!

So anyway I tried to play online but got the following message:

Error Code: 51300

Unable to connect to an access point.

I'm guessing they don't have the required ports open for me to connect?

Also, if it did manage to connect, would there be anyway it can be traced that I was playing through their wireless connection.

They could probably see that someone was playing, but not who it was I wouldnt have thought.

The error you're getting may be becasue while you can find their connection, they may have locked it so other people cant get one. I'm impressed you can even find it, my connection gets a weak if I try playing in my room :(

Google says it's either WEP encrypted or it isn't a compatible router with the WFC. Either way it doesn't look good.

Every machine (PC, PSP, DS, etc) has a MAC address. Not the same as IP address, this thing ties your machine to you. So if they had been getting suspicious that you had been using their router they could check via your MAC address on the DS.

I'd say get a dongle :)

Just tested again and got a connection, played a free battle, so that obviously works, it might have been turned off or something before?

Question is, is there anyway that they can tell that someones using their conection without them knowing, i.e. slowdown/lag of any kind?

I'm not planning on using this as a permanent answer to playing online, Charlys buygin a laptop in April, and we're getting a new pc and we want a wireless router for that lot.

Well, they might get suspicious if they're not on the PC but the lights on the router are flashing! Flashing lights = the net is being used.

I had to give a mate I work with a hand with that as someone was using his connection, so we closed it!

;)

all though they might be able to tell someone is using their machine there will be no easy way (and if they don't use WEP then they are hardly computer experts) to tie it to a specific location. They may be able with research to tell what the device type is through the mac address.

Like you say all they can really do is encript the connection or close all unused ports (including the one your connecting to) or stop the connection full stop, either way you just loose the connection.