passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Secret of Mana

illdog

I put another hour and a half in this morning. I have a team of three now, all the weapons but one, the lastest being the whip so i can cross gaps tha have handy whipping posts on the other side. I think if memeory serves I'm just off to get the first magic sprite in the game.

I haven't read any of the reviews but I guess they are probably saying the remaster is underwhelming? It's certainly not mid blowing but it's a 25 year old game, they can only do so much to it whilst keeping the essence of the original game in tact.

I've loved it so far, it's great to play a game I've beaten many times with a new coat of paint and remastered music.

EDIT: I've just lloked at the Polygon review. I can see what they mean about the music I guess (they say its not as good as the original) but I kind of like hearing a slightly different take on the tunes, they are still basically the same though. They split hairs a little. At the end of the day if you like Mana you'll like this.

I've not been able to play this as much as I wanted to, i'm 5 and a half hours in.

I hit a tough spot, when you get to the Forest of Seasons for the first time there are numerous strong enemies that are coming at ya like Cleopatra. Pink Rabites that swarm you and fucking Blue Owl's that cast confusion on you. My Sprite dude (PoiPoi) was getting mullered, the girl wasnt lasting much longer. Annoyingly the game autosaves between each screen, i hadnt been able to save in a while and upon entering a new screen with my last remaining character at like 2 health I got power wanked by some fucker, killing me. The game then goes back to the title screen and with my previous manual save being 20 minutes back I loaded the autosave. Immediately upon returning to the game i got hit by the same power wank move and died. I tried again to see if there was anything I could do about it but it had me stuck in a death loop. Old save it was.

That aside, I've had fun. After I got out of the Forest of Seasons i was considerally more powerfull than before. I finally got some decent armour for the Sprite and used the entrance to the next are to level up the Girl and the Sprite's magic. I've been consistently switching the weapons between characters so everyone is mostly proficient with each weapon. I've literally just beat the boss that has been guarding Flammie, the white dragon you use to fly around the map with. You get a trophy for every boss you kill which has made me realise how many bosses are in this game for the first time. Five hours played, 10 trophies, that's 2 bosses an hour!

Last time I played I got through a part of the Ice Forest and got the Fire Sprite magic goodness, that’s my fourth magic ability. I’m lost though and the Forest is tough, most of the enemies cast magic and there are these clouds you can’t hit with physical attacks. I really don’t want to use a guide but I’m not enjoying my aimless wanderings whilst getting my ass handed to me.

I've given this game a bit of a punding in the last few days. I'm just under 14 hours now, I think i might be missing 1 magic Sprite and a have most of my weapon orbs. I forget how tough this game gets in the last quater, all the enemies have decent dodge chances and most have magic attacks. Also, the "dungeons" get extremely mazey and for someone with exceptionally poor navigational skills it's been a trip. I have Flammie now so I can fly around the world at will, that's a plus.

I hate to say it but they really have fucked up the remaster of the music, to the point where I've turned the original music on in the options. Some of their instrument choices are bizarre and in some cases the songs sound completely different.

I think I need to spend a little time grinding some magic and weapon levels then its off to the Grand Palace. After that it's only the Pure Land then the final showdown at the Mana Fortress. I say only but I remember it being tough as nails.