passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Crimson Dragon

spatular

I got this on launch but only did the training, too many other games to play at the time meant this was forgotten. So today is the first day I've given it a proper go. Initial impressions are mixed.

It's an on rails shooter, where you pilot a dragon, bit like panzer dragoon. It's also got RPGs elements, I guess these might have been introduced to combat the criticism of score attack games that they're too short or something. I don't really like this idea because how can you have a proper score attack game where you can level up your character? The answer is you can't. Anyway I guess they don't get in the way too much, as I've mostly ignored them so far. You can level up and evolve your dragon, buy new attacks, choose the attack type that the enemies are weak to in each stage, pay a wingman to help you out. Feed your dragon, and other stuff.

You can sort of tell it didn't start out as a next gen game, but still it often looks really nice. The graphics can also be part of the problem sometimes, the reticule can be hidden by the sky in some stages, depending on the weapon being used. The dragon is pretty big and covers too much of the screen for my liking, although that's not a big problem. And some stages are too busy visually making it hard to see baddies. The art style is really nice though IMO, the dragons look cool etc.

As for the gameplay, I like it, but then I do like on rails shooters, and have to also point out it's nowhere near as good as recent-ish stuff like child of Eden and the on rails sections of kid Icarus (I wish that one was all on rails personally). I like the mini goals for each section of a stage, like you're ranked for taking less damage, or number of enemies shot down etc.

It's quite hard, I was getting destroyed on classic mode so had to change to casual. Got quite far in now I think but stuck on a stage with these massive explosions I can't work out how to dodge.

Occasionally, thankfully not very often at all, there's a free flight section, these are a bit rubbish.

I would ask what you guys think but Guess there's not much chance anyone else on here has this? Just due to low xbox one ownership.

Finished this today, there's about 20 levels, all pretty short. I enjoyed it. My dragon is nearly maxed out, but going back to the early levels, even on the harder difficulty barely gets any experience points. So either use a new dragon, or play later levels to max the old one out, or stop playing completely, not sure which yet.

Also it got an update to add online coop I think, and a new harder difficulty.

About the micro transactions that helped this review badly, I think the balancing was fixed in a day one patch, paying to play levels sounded rubbish, but there only seems to be a few levels that cost now, and finishing a level will earn you enough to play it 10 times maybe, so yeah I haven't seen anything bad like that, no grinding required, unless you want all the dragons leveled up to max or something I guess. But that's my problem with the RPGs elements, well they're fine I guess, but really I should be wanting to play more to get better scores and finish levels on harder difficulties, not for experience points to level up. Well that's IMO anyway, and I guess it's good that there's something different going on here so can't complain too much.

Also on sale at the moment, £12 I think.

i kept playing - fully leveled up 2 dragons now, and got them some new moves and stuff. the second one i leveled up i tried to play through on normal difficulty but it was too hard at first, so i played some on easy to level up a bit then did the rest on normal. also been playing the levels with the fully powered up dragons to try and get medals on each level, but i'll never get them all, like the take no damage ones seem impossible to me. also some require high shot-down rates - like 90% - which previously seemed impossible, but my new dragon has a main shot that has a massive reticule and automatically shoots at stuff so makes shooting most stuff pretty easy.

i want to keep playing but the leveling up means that most of the stages are too easy now (except the last level that has some ridiculous attack near the end i have no idea how to dodge.), apparently theres now a harder difficulty mode but not sure how to access that.

• 5 months later...

I got this. My childhood rose-tinted memories of Panzer Dragoon are laying on the floor smashed into a million pieces. This was not the game I was envisioning when I first heard of the project. The controls are very awkward. I might go the route Spatular took an change the setting to causal as it near impossible to dodge enemies attacks. Also, an auto-lock reticle would have been nice instead of manual trying to move the reticle with the left stick.

Would be up for co-op if anyone wants to give it a go.

Ive been playing this too. Yea, the controls are awful, they are sluggish and exactly the opposite of how a game like this should handle. Saying that, you do get used to it the more you play.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about the story and I skip all the dialog so I might be missing out on something good but that's the developers fault for not making it interesting in the 1st place.

• 2 months later...

I went down to San Jose for dinner tonight. When I got to my destination I opened up Crimson Dragon Side Story on my phone to check my distant traveled and nabs some free crystals. That one of things I like about the Windows Phone prequel game is that you get free crystals for traveling in real life. I also unlocked an Crimson Dragon t-shirt for my avatar while on the train to San Francisco to get tattoo removal work done last Thursday.

I was also rewarded an unreleased Blackbone Lazward dragon in the main Xbox One game this afternoon. Took it for a spin on the introduction level and it handles really well. The more I play the Xbox One game the more the controls grow on me. Right now my goal is A or S Rank for all levels.

I went down to San Jose for dinner tonight. When I got to my destination I opened up Crimson Dragon Side Story on my phone to check my distant traveled and nabs some free crystals. That one of things I like about the Windows Phone prequel game is that you get free crystals for traveling in real life. I also unlocked an Crimson Dragon t-shirt for my avatar while on the train to San Francisco to get tattoo removal work done last Thursday.

Yea, i liked that. Was playing the Windows Phone version when I went from England to Las Vegas to San Fransisco in 2012. Got a fair few crystals...