passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gundemonium Collection

spatular

this is a collection of 3 Japanese indie shooters released on psn and pc by an american company Rockin Android, £4 each or £10 for all 3.

i posted some initial impressions in the download games thread:

initial impressions are mixed, had a few goes on gundeadligne and really enjoyed it, didn't really know what was going on though, turns out some sort of autobomb is on by default which saved my bacon loads of times! all 3 games are really hard (played on normal, think i'll try the easier modes next time) but this was the easiest because of the autobomb. the bomb slowly recharges when used so if you get hit again before its recharged you loose a life. you can change firing direction between left/righ with a button press - triangle which was a bit out of the way so i switched it to one of the bumpers which was better. one of the other buttons allows you to cancel bullets when you kill the enemy that fired them - i didn't fully understand this.

hitogata happa is vertically scrolling and you get loads of lives that can apparently be used as bombs, i couldn't figure this out at all and couldn't get past the first boss.

gundemonium recollection seems to be some sort of sequal to gundeadligne but you can't change direction and no autobomb, again i think i'm missing something and was finding it really hard.

writing that was a bit pointless at the moment i need to get some info on how to play the games, the "how to play" sections are useless.

fake edit - i've been playing hitogata happa a lot more, pretty annoyed at not being able to get past the first boss, finally found the information needed, you have to survive long enough to fill up a meter in the top right then ram the enemy without getting hit by bullets, you have to do this once for each arm and then once for the body, pretty obscure and not well explained at all. http://shmups.system...pic.php?t=11778

now i've played all 3 a bit more i'm quite impressed, playing gundeadligne on easy mode really does make it a lot easier (i got a 1cc :D), each extra life you collect fills up your 3 lives to full, and with the recharging autobomb, and with a better understanding of the mana mode which cancels bullets and slows everything down (which is different depending on what character/weapon you use - or is it the bomb thats different? - i'm still not sure - anyway i used the character that it says is for beginners so everything i say is based on that character). it was really good fun for the most part too.

also tried the other 2 on easy mode - hitogata happa is strange because after the first stage (where you get ~10 lives) its hard to run out of lives as you can buy a shed load between each level (you can choose between a load of different characters when buying the extra lives - some cost more than others - and while playing you can apparently toggle which one you use next) but its still a really hard game, where you lose the game is on the bosses, they're timed so if you don't take them out fast enough they go mental and if you die in this crazy mode its an instant game over, the only way to kill them fast enough with the first character is to bomb by ramming parts of the boss for massive dammage - on the 3rd level boss i was doing quite well untill the last part where i couldn't get close enough in the bullet pattern to bomb the boss. i think some of the other characters might be better for taking the bosses down.

had another go of Gundemonium recollection too and enjoyed it more as i had more of an idea what i was doing as it plays like gundeadligne, it gets pretty hard even on easy and i'm not sure how far i got as the game isn't really broken up into distinct stages - same for gundeadligne.

so i'm enjoying them but still not sure i'd recommend these to people who aren't big shmup fans as there's better stuff out there...