passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

iPod touch

mynameis

i really wanna jailbreak my girlfriend ipod touch, but i'm pretty sure she'd kill me :(

and yeah it is a fun as it looks, such a smart bit of kit, i have a slight case of gadget envy of her because of it, think you can get an 8 gb one for about 160-180 quid if you search, john lewis has it for £179 i think

Actually the best place to get a guide from is iclarified.

Click on the tutorials section and it contains links to all the tools and files etc. Very good step by step process.

Its MUCH safer jailbreaking a touch as you don't have to worry about the baseband.

With iphones they can currently ALL be jailbroken... but only the first gens can be unlocked (sim wise)

The old iphones can be very easily unlocked using various tools.

The best one is the 'Pwnage' tool.

I follow the tutorials form this site : http://www.iclarified.com/.... and generall have no problems.

Note that you CAN jailbreak a 3G iphone using this tool (which means install custom software) but no baseband (sim) unlock is ready for it yet.

Once the iphone (2G) has had its baseband flash it should accept ANY sim card from any network.

Purely because i wasn't happy with what Orange were offering me in terms of data plans (the whole point of an iphone is free remote data right??) i switched over to an O2 monthly tarrif... this means that you pay monthly by direct debit but have no tie-ins... so you can cancel with a months notice.

I went with an O2 simplicity tarrif and switched my free 'bolt-on' from unlimited uk calls to unlimited web access which essentially matched the current 18 month iphone contracts out there for £10 less :-)

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/sim_only

I since went for a new iphone and am not overly impressed with the differences against the new cost of me having an official contract.

Also.... being an apple / gadget whore... i currently have an ipod touch 16gb and iphone 2G (unlocked and jailbroken) for sale if anyone is interested.

So, I dont get it? What else can u pirate onto an MP3 player?

It's not just an mp3 player! Have you not checked out the App Store in the iTunes Music Store? The games and apps run on iPhones and iTouch players.

As far as I can tell, jailbreaking either of them enables you to install cracked copies of stuff that's on the Store as well as 3rd party apps that Apple won't allow or haven't got round to cutting the red tape yet.

I'm quite happy with the mountains of stuff in the Store anyway, and besides, the fact that the word "break" is involved makes me very nervous.

And it's my phone, I really don't want to mess with my phone!

You might want to wait a while:

http://kevinrose.com/blogg/2008/8/23/new-i...-very-soon.html

Latest rumors:

- Revamp of entire iPod line.

- Small cosmetic changes to Touch, Nano to see significant redesign (see pic below).

- iPods to see fairly large price drops to distance itself from the $199 iPhone.

- iPod touch 2.1 software, iPhone to get update very soon after.

- iTunes 8.0 ("it's a big update w/new features").

- All of this coming in the next 2-3 weeks.

new-nano.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1219460271846

Hmm not sure if i believe all of this.

For starters how come this dude has access to info that all the mac rumour sites can't even confirm?

Also... why would they go back to the old shape with the nano?

I suppose they can't make it any smaller.... but it seems odd that they would pretty much just go back to the old model?

Really looking forward to a new (and improved?) itunes and a SOLID iphone software update... it better fix some significant stuff though.

Also iTunes better not break loads of stuff as it usually does when they update. grrrrrrr..

That guy's predictions have never been right. Most of those rumours dont affect me anyhow, except for the redesign which I dont think will happen, as well as the price cut for the touch

Too impatient to wait two weeks, gonna put the order in today :D

So is it likely to be 2.0? Or the 1.3 everyone's raving on about?

And estimated time of delivery using the FREE method is Saturday!! :o Hard to believe that something being shipped out of Swansea will take that long! It'd be quicker for me to drive there, pick it up from the HQ, post it via Royal Mail the day after to myself and with no stamps! LOL

• 2 weeks later...