passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Geometry Wars : Galaxies

Hendo

Only been playing the DS version (Wii impressions are welcome though) for a short while. Done the first Galaxy I think and have a gold medal on each of the 3 planets.

So far it looks like you have a clone that runs with you and as you go further through the levels and collect more items you can upgrade it, or use the items (Geons, I think they're called) to buy new galaxies to play instead. There seems to be quite a few clones to use too.

There's also the Retro Evolved version of the game which is pretty much identical to the XBLA version.

So, top screen is where the action is and on the bottom there's a still pic of your ship, and you use the stylus to point where your fire goes. That works quite well actually, but I'm not so convinced by the d-pad to move. It's maybe a bit snobbish to say (as you have to work with what the tech is, don't you?) but I'm really missing analogue control to steer my ship.

I can actually see me playing the shit out of this, more as I play it. :)

And truthfully enough, I have been playing the shit out of this.

I think I prefer the new expanded Geometry Wars to the Retro Evolved style! There's just that bit more depth, plus it eases you in nicely.

I didn't actually really want this game (the BOGOF offer came in handy as I wanted Duck Amuck much more) but I'm really glad I picked it up. I'm guessing the Wii version is identical but with better looks, but I've heard the nunchuck/pointer combo isn't great and it's best to use the Classic pad, which is reason enough for me to leave it alone.

i sort of forgot i had this as it arrived in the huge games overload last year, reminded about it by Hendo's posts i've played it quite a bit recently and it's good fun just like the original :) quite far into it now but mostly getting bronze medals. not completely convinced adding yellow pickups and a drone that also fires stuff helps visibility on the small screen though, but it's still not that hard to see everything which bodes well for bangai-o.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I have with this game is that there comes a point in your gaming session where it gives you hand cramps. Probably because using the stylus to fire, it only leaves you one hand to use the D-pad and hold the DS. Not that the DS weights a lot, it doesn't, but after half-an-hour of holding it like this constantly, I always need to pause the game or stop completely to take a break.

But otherwise, I really love the game. I never thought Geometry wars would work on the DS, but it does. And it's particularly addictive. But I still prefer the analog controls of the 360 version of Retro-Evolved, but for a handheld, it's still pretty much the best we can hope to get.