passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Should a perfect score mean a perfect game?

Phooey

How bizarre that I most agree with what the guy from Edge said.

What we used to do a long time ago was assign a word equivalent to each score from 1 to 10, and at that point 10 represented 'revolutionary'. And more recently we realised that having the scores spelled out like that was, in a way, holding us back from using the full scale – by definition we could only give a game 10 if it really was revolutionary, and we wanted to be able to use the whole scale.

If next to 10 on our reviews intro today it said 'perfect', then that's what 10 would mean. We changed all that because we'd get people arguing about whether or not games we had given 10 were actually revolutionary. So we deliberately changed it.

People get far too worked up over scores I think. You can't away from the importance of that number that everyone will read first and quote to friends or see on a box, but to me a 10 is a very special game, but it shouldn't be unattainable.

I think GTM are making a consious move towards that road, and the current staff have said that Resi 4 should've got a 10 at the time it came out originally.

Apparently they (and all mags) argue amongst themselves over high-scoring games for days.