passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Etrian Odyssey

Centy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right well this is due to get its weekly mention on the podcast again as i have just turned a corner and from what i can gather im nearing the halfway point of my journey and i have one of the unlockable classes who is proving to be worth the delay of training him.

Still the 3rd stratum isnt proving to be as much of a trial as the 2nd was but the scenary is getting very annoying very fast so i guess the quicker i get thorugh it i'll see something new.

Currently my crew are sitting at level 40 odd for my main ones and 32 for my new Ronin who is already a match for my higher levels :D

Could not be loving this game anymore and would really like someone to play through with but i guess im to far on for that :(

Stick with it centy, the next few levels are cool. levels 14/16 have some new ways of transversing the labyrinth which make mapping them a bit different from what you have encountered so far.

I've been leveling up my new Hexer Warlock. He's got a right bag of tricks.

I decided to power up on the evil eye skill tree, which has some very fiendish spells including betrayal. This makes the monsters attack each other rather than my party! Sweet! The Suicide spell also took my fancy but I need a further 5 skill points to unlock that.

Might end up asking this on DSR but is it worth replacing my Alchemist with a Hexer when i can or is elemental damage still useful where you are.

Now I have my Ronin firing on all cylinders i could have just him and my Landsknecht on the front line and have 3 mages behind as in replacing my DarkHunter who is cool but no more deadly than the other front men except that she's a woman :P

Centy wrote:

Might end up asking this on DSR but is it worth replacing my Alchemist with a Hexer when i can or is elemental damage still useful where you are.

Now I have my Ronin firing on all cylinders i could have just him and my Landsknecht on the front line and have 3 mages behind as in replacing my DarkHunter who is cool but no more deadly than the other front men except that she's a woman :P

I'd keep your alchemist, you'll need him on the 4th stratum, all the monsters I've have encountered there don't like fire spells. I like your idea of having 3 magic dewds. I am toying with dropping my protector. As he really doesn't do much in the way of attacking and doesn't use his defender spell at all on this stratum. I can always bring him back for heavy weight FOE battles.

Provisional line up.

Landsknecht

Survivalist

Alchemist

Medic

Hexer

Well my current line up is

Landsknecht

Ronin

DarkHunter

Alchemist

Medic

What im thinking about is having

Ronin

Landsknecht

Alchemist

Hexer

Medic

Though i would be a little wary of having only 2 guys capable of physical attack as I have based most of my playing style around that so far but if i level up my 2 attackers more it might be enough i think i'll be bringing a few warpwires along when i get a hexer :)

My alchemist plan is paying off nicely so far hes a complete mixed bag using all magic although i've only got basic poison and never use it as my Dark hunter can inflict damage aswell as poison.

Just found the purple crystal last night and went back opening all the doors that were locked before and it dawned on me about BF3 why do these monsters even bother attacking me my Ronin does enough damage in 1 slice to kill all 4 of them :D crazy things.

illdog wrote:

Its insane when you read a thread about a game you know nothing about, it sounds beyond comprehension. I picked this up in the states for a meer £15 so soon this should all make sence.

Yep same price i paid for mine but i never got to go stateside for it :)

This thread will make sense when you are about an hour or so into the game then you'll be hooked and even if you don't like it you have the gorgeous box to look at.

Well still whoring this game up like its going out of style and i have actually begun the long boring process of grinding up my substitute bench incase i need them later on.

Currently leveling up my Landsknecht with more sword abilities incase they are required as the my main Landsknecht uses an axe and is my main physical offensive man. Also my Ronin is being brought upto speed as is my Hexer who is quite a bit behind the rest and my medic and dark hunter came along incase they got into trouble. Having just entered the second floor of the 4th stratum im not going any further until i have my whole party upto the big 50 mark call me cautious call me a geek i just want to be prepared for anything :D

I've just hit level 20 and it was quite a shock. I'd been warned that the level held a few surprises but wasn't prepared for what I encountered. Needless to say I'm now grinding up my subs bench too. I also need some cash as I've just unlocked some sweet armour that is 80,000-ish gold.

I'm unsure about the ronin class as it seems to me only fit for FOE battles as most of the skills need a turn to warm up. No good for the normal skirmish battles, perhaps I am doing something wrong. I'm more taken with the hexer class which have some really sweet spells.

Spike wrote:

I'm unsure about the ronin class as it seems to me only fit for FOE battles as most of the skills need a turn to warm up. No good for the normal skirmish battles, perhaps I am doing something wrong. I'm more taken with the hexer class which have some really sweet spells.

Thats really strange I'm loving my Ronin and not greatly impressed with my Hexer I have maxed out her Death Gaze and am working up suicide (which barely does anything right now), yet my Ronin is 8 levels behind my axe Landsknecht and already capable of doing the same standard damage but also healing himself.

Like I say I'm experimenting with the line up right now hopefully the Hexer will improve but right now my Dark hunter has all the similar bind skills aswell as poison, argh not sure. Why only 5 party members Atlus :(

Have you got a bard or used one at all Spike ive been hearing they can pretty much replace going back to wells or the Inn.

Centy wrote:

Thats really strange I'm loving my Ronin and not greatly impressed with my Hexer I have maxed out her Death Gaze and am working up suicide (which barely does anything right now), yet my Ronin is 8 levels behind my axe Landsknecht and already capable of doing the same standard damage but also healing himself.

Like I say I'm experimenting with the line up right now hopefully the Hexer will improve but right now my Dark hunter has all the similar bind skills aswell as poison, argh not sure. Why only 5 party members Atlus :(

I guess I'm doing something wrong then :) can you enlighten me as I'm unsure as to what skills to develop for him? I've also found him a bit weak even if I kit him out with the best armour for his class. Tho he is only lv23 and some of the monsters in the 4th stratum hit hard. My other two front row chaps are hard as nails and do serious damage now with smite/silencer hitting at 300-ish if the monsters don't like physical damage.

Centy wrote:

Have you got a bard or used one at all Spike ive been hearing they can pretty much replace going back to wells or the Inn.

Thats a good point as the one thing that is preventing me from exploring the 20lvl is the fact that I keep running out of TP.

Hmm a good name for a bard... erm.. dylan... yeah that will do. Gonna knock one up now and give him a run out, definitely a back row chap though as I doubt a lute/bad singing will do much against an angry orge. :P

My Level 43 Ronin Takashi has

Lv 10 Katanas

Lv 10 Attack

Lv 8 Crit up (worth every point)

Lv 1 Sight

Lv 1 Ibuki (health Regen)

Lv 5 Overhead

Lv 1 Kesagiri (power attack)

Lv 1 Zamba (not as good as Midareba)

Lv 1 Medareba (multiple strikes far more effective than Zamba)

Lv 2 Iai

Lv 2 Kubiuchi (instant kill)

A bit jumbled but i would suggest focusing on the atck and Katana's first then Crit up and Overhead so you can use Midareba which is a very effective move.

lv43! blimey that's grind mungus :)

Thanks for the info, I'll check out my ronin stats and see where I'm going wrong. I think I've done something daft and probably neglected the attack skill so even if he has a decent sword it only tickles the enemies.

Just took my dylan bard out on trial round the grind level that is b18f( handy water fountain comes in useful). First battle and he went up from 1-7 hahaha. Already got him to lv20 and ramping up his relaxing tune skill which gives the entire party TP. kitted him out with 32+ armour, 7+ def hat and 10+ def shield. He looks like he might just fit the bill as long as FOE's don't target him too much.

Top Notch! Might have to get me one but i just can't for the life of me think who i would replace but it would be nice to have one especially if they level that quick :D

Yeah I've been working my Ronin hard to get him there though i have noticed his defense is quite low compared to my other fighter and he's wearing all the Tiger armour stuff.

Well I got myself a Bard and bloody hell i keep saying to myself "if only I got one when i started" finding her so useful right now, I had the combination of the Hexer and Troubador working nicely draining them and buffing me but i had to pick 1 to press on with and I went for the Troubador, Because if needs be they can use great swords and do more damage in dire circumstances.

So time got level grind again *sigh* but by the time she's lv30 or so i will press on so my current line up now sits as the following

Main Party:

F

Gatsu- Lv48 Landsknecht (Axe user)

Takashi- Lv45 Ronin

R

Jedeau- Lv48 Alchemist

Griffisu- Lv51 Medic

Bacon- Lv13 Troubador

Substitute Bench:

Centy- Lv40 Landsknecht (Sword user)

Caska- Lv48 DarkHunter (Whip User)

Rosavi- Lv31 Hexer

Ok, ive jumped on the Etrian Odyssey bandwagon now. Very much enjoying it so far but Ive found it a struggle! Not played a great deal of these type of games so I found the stats a bit overwhelming at first. A little perseverence and a few deaths later and things started to take shape.

Ive done the first level now, passed the Soldier and down into the second. Im glad ive read this thread from the start as I thought id done something really wrong, its nice to see everybody struggled againt those FOE, that fucking deer thing beat my ass like he was my dad.

So, nerdy stat time:

illdog - Landsknecht Level 6

Kitiara - Dark Hunter Level 6

Laurana - Survivalist Level 6

Infidel - Alchemist Level 6

Arcangel - Medic Level 6

Ill add their personal stats after ive levelled them up a bit, sadly im excited about getting some more skill points. :blush:

But yea, so far so awsome, except for trooping back to the Rooster all the time to patch up the team - boo!

illdog wrote:

But yea, so far so awsome, except for trooping back to the Rooster all the time to patch up the team - boo!

Yeah you'll find you have to do that a fair bit in the beginning but you will eventually find ways round that as it gets bloody expensive. Glad to see you're enjoying it so far and kudos on the skill point loe they are great :D.