passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

mod chip for Wii

dead rabbit

not seen that one, they look good but I'd want one for homebrew and import really and to be gauranteed that Ninty ain't gonna brick my machine with firmware updates or limit online functionality.

• 1 month later...

A Computer parts shop up the road from me Chip's Wii for £70, but they still don't play imports (so the guy says) I also know there's probs with chipping Wii depending on the batch number, some of the wii's chips differ between batches, you have to check codes. There's is also a Softmodding option I read about last night (can't find link as I was browsing on the Wii) basically its a CD/DVD that boot's up the Gc side of the Wii and flashes the Bios/firmware chip's and apparently it's future proof! so ninty can't do anything about it. Here's a good site for that kinda stuff and anything homebrew

RetroEd wrote:

Nintendo attempts to block Wii modchips in newest console revision

Exactly.

Welcome to the firmware update generation, where fuck all is guaranteed.

They could do a firmware update where it intentionally bricks a machine with a chip in it, and there'd be nothing you could argue with as modding a machine is going against the terms of use, making the warranty/guarantee null and void.

If I could afford a second one and there was an amazing reason to do it, thenI would and never put it online, using my main one for normal stuff.

But until then, I'll stick with what I've got.

Hendo wrote:

RetroEd wrote:
Nintendo attempts to block Wii modchips in newest console revision

Exactly.

Welcome to the firmware update generation, where fuck all is guaranteed.

They could do a firmware update where it intentionally bricks a machine with a chip in it, and there'd be nothing you could argue with as modding a machine is going against the terms of use, making the warranty/guarantee null and void.

If I could afford a second one and there was an amazing reason to do it, thenI would and never put it online, using my main one for normal stuff.

But until then, I'll stick with what I've got.

It is illegal for a company to purposely brick your hardware. Modchips aren't illegal. If you buy the machine then it is yours to do as you please and that includes modifying it in any way you see fit. Now to have copied games for which you do not own the originals then that is illegal, but the chips themselves are not. MS try to restrict live use with mod chips on the single pretence that it prevents cheating, so they are allowed to restrict use, but in no way would they get away with sending an update down the line to brick modded machines. Most companies say that if a machine is modded then they cannot gaurantee a firmware update won't brick the machine because the hardware is different to that of others, chances are though if your intentions with the chip are legit and a machine gets bricked by firmware then the company could be made to replace the hardware they broke.

I believe Sony got in large amounts of trouble due to a code string found in one of their firmware updates that actively searched for new hardware then flashed the bios if it found any(PSP)..... naughty naughty

Fedex wrote:

If you buy the machine then it is yours to do as you please and that includes modifying it in any way you see fit.

Nah, that's not true. When you buy a machine you are essentially borrowing their technology which has its own patents on it. Part of the terms of use includes being unable to modify the equipment. Technically, you could get arrested for doing so, but the case would get thrown out of court for being silly.

They'd never dare do it (though I think there was a case in Italy regarding Sony) but it remains that you don't really own the technology in the box, just the ability to play on it. Sounds daft I know, but that's how it works.

it depends which region you are looking at. Sony recently lost a court case in Australia to try and outlaw mod chips. The ruling decided that modding was a legitimate practice and therefor legal. Same thing in Spain and Italy recently, both contries decided that chipping machines is perfectly legal:-

Australian court said:-

"There is no copyright reason why the purchaser should not be entitled to copy the CD-Rom and modify the console in such a way as to enjoy his or her lawfully acquired property without inhibition,"

Italian court said:-

[mod-chips]"avoid monopolistic positions and improve the possibilities for use of the PlayStation,"

there is more on the internet regarding cases all around the world, every one of them seems to be ruled in the modders favour as the sole purpose of chips is not to play illegal games, this is merely a by-product of turning off the region coding. In the UK it is illegal to sell mod-chips however. If you sell a device to knowingly bypass TPM's then it is against the law in this country.

These terms of use you refer to are also mis interperated. Their terms are merely for enforcing the warantee, you could pull your wii apart if you wanted to and that would be completely legal in this country, you could install more RAM or change the chipsets, the only thing you can't do in this country is bypass the Technological Protection Measures or TPMs, so really the definition for modding has to be more specific in this country whereas in other countries once you bought it you can do what you like with it. This country you can do what you like with it as long as the end result doesn't allow you to play copied games.

So your right in a way, in this country you can't mod a console legally if it is going to bypass any TPMs, but in the same way you can mod the console in any other way, you are not buying the rights to use the machine (like when buying a game or DVD) you are buying the machine. And terms of use can only outline a breach for warantees or returns policies, you couldn't be arrested for pulling your Wii apart if you weren't modding TPMs, the same way you couldn't be arrested for drop kicking it accross the room, both would invalidate the warantee however.