passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Iron Lung

DANGERMAN

It's a little difficult to talk about Iron Lung because there isn't a lot to it. I really like David Szymanski's games (The Moon Sliver, Dusk probably most famously, and my personal favourite The Music Machine), ignoring Dusk because I think he worked with someone on that, he does a really good job of working within his limitations. He is not an artist, in the graphics sense, so while Fingerbones lead to The Moon Sliver, the use of colour in that leads to The Music Machine. Messing with bloom leads to A Wolf In Autumn. Iron Lung again works within his limitations, using obscured graphics and a single location

Set in a tiny sub, not unlike a certain submarine from this year, it's largely unsuited for the depths it's going to and as such the window is sealed shut, and you're likely to get things breaking and creaking. The universe is dying out, as a prisoner you can earn your freedom by exploring a sea of blood on a distant planet, looking for evidence of another lost sub.

You aren't given a lot of guidance, you're sunk to the bottom of the blood sea and told to explore. Eventually you'll work out that there's a map with locations, hover over them and it gives you the coordinates, use the controls to rotate the sub and navigate it to these locations using forwards and backwards controls. Get tot he location, change the angle, take a picture, move on to the next.

Things eventually start to happen, which obviously I'm not going to spoil. Maybe not enough things happen if I'm going to be critical, it's not a long game, which is fine, maybe I was expecting a little too much. It's being turned in to a low budget film, and I can see why, it strikes me as ripe for a good horror movie, but I suspect they'll have more things happen

I still recommend it, but I'm surprised this was the David Szymanski horror game that caught on, Dusk aside, it's good, but it's a bit light

• 2 months later...