passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DOOM VFR

DisturbedSwan

Started this today, I'm probably just under 2 hours in.

Mixed feelings really, mainly down to the control scheme.

It has been made for the Move controllers - which is how I started my session - but you jump forwards/back/left/right with the face buttons on the left Move controller and it just isn't intuitive at all, most of the time you feel like you're hugging a wall then have to do a 180 degree turn to get out the wall and teleport ahead. The teleport feels great at least, teleporting into enemies when they're flashing - like the glory kills in the main game - is as satisfying here as it was there.

So after a few janky fights with the Move controllers I switched to the PS Aim controller - which has its own set of issues. As it has been made for the Moves it feels like PS Aim support has been half-arsed, you've got a grenade/grenade launcher hanging off one side of your face and your main right-hand gun is mapped with the controller. The way you interact with interfaces and stuff feels janky as hell as well, having to reach into the distance with the gun to press a button to call for a lift is fucking annoying as hell. But...it's fantastic when it comes to fights, you can run about, weaving and shooting like you do in the 2016 game with all the freedom of movement that affords, it's just a shame that it often feels janky as hell and poorly optimised everywhere else.

I didn't expect it to be as scary as it is either. There were moments in 2016 that were a bit creepy but here seeing a Pinky charge at you or a Mancubus or Cacodemon show up looking huge as hell is just a bit intimidating in VR, the depth and height of them you just can't process until you're 'in' there with them, some of the smaller enemies can jump scare you when you turn around too if you're not careful. 

The gunplay is expectedly excellent, I struggled with the Move controllers as mentioned above, but once I switched to the PS Aim I was having an absolute whale of a time with it like in 2016. That hard rock sound track revving up as soon as you enter an arena and getting you instantly fired up to kill some demons.

As this is a side-story/prequel to 2016 it doesn't follow the same path. Instead you're a scientist of some kind who is tasked with shutting a hell portal, you're largely stationed in this one section which is your 'base' then you teleport off into other regions using portals to fix and collect certain bits and pieces, there's a few tie ins to 2016 like the naughty lady from 2016 talking someone from hell about opening the portal or something but everything else has been quite bare bones and separate really. There's a few repeated environs too, but I guess that's to be expected, finding collectibles and secret passages is just as compelling here as in 2016 too.

So yeah, in its stride this is even better than 2016 as you're actually right in there in those adrenaline-filled fights but the control scheme lets it down significantly, none of them are perfect so whatever you choose will be a compromise.

Finished this yesterday, took me 3 hours in total.

My thoughts have pretty much remained the same as my first post really. It's a great game when you're in combat with the PS Aim controller but outside of combat or with the Moves it just feels like a bit of a convoluted mess to control.

Honestly, if I didn't have the PS Aim to fall back on I probably would've given up, it just wasn't worth the hassle for me, I believe you can use the DS4 as well so that might be a better compromise if you don't have a PS Aim.

But yeah, the fights are incredible, actually being there and seeing all these mad demons up close and personal, but its length and control issues drag it down a bit.