passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Far Cry Primal

regemond

How long are you supposed to give a game before you can give it up on good conscience?

I really liked 3, Blood Dragon and 4. And I mean REALLY liked them. I enjoyed the Ubi-tower system, I had fun hunting shit, and I loved the outposts.

This feels like a devolution in every way (sorry for the bad joke). I've not come across any towers. Hunting seems a pain, and weapons feel inconsequential. 

I dunno, I'll give it a bit longer, but this just doesn't feel like the far cry I've come to be so fond of.

I do like the tamed animals and the language though. If I remember right from previews they actually did research into how speech would have sounded back then and crafted it from there. Obviously that could be PR spiel but if it's not it's a great touch.

• 6 years later...

I'm closing in on the end of this, I think. Unlike @regemondI've had a pretty good time. You do start off rather underpowered in this compared to other Far Cries, like 4 arrows underpowered, but if you push through you can get some level, but without anything (especially the wild life) becoming a pushover.

I think someone on the forum once objected to me calling Far Cry an Rpg. But this iteration is an Rpg to its core. You have to do everything out of the rpg playbook just to survive in this environment - crafting, collecting, hunting, levelling weapons, clothing, finding rare plants to make medicines and throwables, taming beasts to fight alongside you. It's all there, and, to the game's credit, you still have to think about your stash of this and that, and the level of your spears well into the game, wherein something like elder scrolls you're basically an unstoppable force 25 hours in.

And I'm not suggesting this game ever reaches elder scrolls heights. It doesn't. But for me it's been a good and challenging open world experience.

Saw the credits in this after 2 rather hard boss fights, much more intense than in any other Far cry I've played, although you're not usually expected to take down the big bad in those other games with a bow, a spear and an angry owl. 7485e055-b0fc-47ea-8715-373e915c8fca.png

But the land is conquered and I've retired to the hills to open a mammoth racing track and invent gambling.