passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guilty Gear Xrd

HandsomeDead

I'll just put a general thread down for Xrd.

I'm currently playing - Revelator - though there was - Sign - that came out last year (or the year before maybe?) to keep you up to date.

I don't actually think there is much difference in the versions apart from a couple of new characters, some on disc that were DLC in past version and some other minor changes that spruce things up a bit more in-game.  I think one is the ability to cash in your 'Burst' to make a stronger super and not you can tech throws.  I'm sure that stuff makes a difference to those that play a lot, especially the throw tech-ing, but it isn't as dramatic a change the series usually sees with each iteration (from what I've been lead to believe).

I don't really know where to start describing it.  In a way it's kinda easy because most attacks chain so you can mash out combos that look cool, and most special moves can be used an an ender, much like any other fighting game.  What I'm finding unusual so far is just how long these combos can go for.  When I was messing around I discovered I could cancel a special move into another then into another which would make the opponent bounce on the ground left open to juggle some more.  That is unheard of in SF so even getting in the mindset to do that is odd for me.  Having it that open ended is scary.  But it is all in the mind as from I can tell there is some major damage scaling with long combos so I suspect it isn't so much about doing optimal damage but showing off.

There is a lot of movement in GG as well, what with your air dashes and stuff but it does mean I have no idea how to be defensive other than be as wacky as the other guy.  I'm sure there is a method to the madness that happens in a GG match but I haven't found it yet.

But it is a lot of fun even though I've not totally grasped it yet.  The game looks amazing.  I still can't get over what they did to the Unreal Engine to get it to do this.

Special mention goes to the tutorial as it is a lot more fun than any other.  It basically turns the game's mechanics into a mini-game that gives you a good idea of how the things are working.  There is also a more challenging mission mode that teaches you match-up specific techniques and common tactics used by certain players.  It is all very educational.  But at the same time I still don't think it prepares you for going against someone.  Like any other fighting game the best lessons just come from diving in and being mindful of what is happening, but it does prep you better.

There is a lot of game here but it is mostly tutorial stuff.  There is an arcade mode to go through which alters it's difficulty from match to match by how well you're doing and there is a 'M.O.M' mode which I don't understand at all but doesn't seem all that interesting in my opinion.  There is also a story mode which, again, is just watching anime.  So I guess it's not a game to get unless you do want to learn it.  It's not like Mortal Kombat where you can get a lot of enjoyment out of it without getting competitive.  I wish there was more of that here.

But it's fun.  I'm giving it a college try.  I've not won a game online yet out of 10... I did take a round once...

But it's fine, fights are close, I'm just not pushing the envelope and the only people that play it clearly have a decent grasp of it so things could be a lot worse.  I just need to improve my muscle memory and know what to do to defend then the wins will roll in.

• 1 year later...

Had a go on Revelator earlier to try out my new stick and also get a feel for the game.

Haven't played a fighting game since USFIV a couple of years ago now and this has always looked uber daunting to play whenever I've seen it on Streams from tournaments etc. But yeah, it also looked hella fun and was only £10 so I thought I'd give it a go.

First thing I did was go into the tutorial. Almost immediately I was impressed with the depth of it, (I vaguely remember playing a really good tutorial mode donkeys years ago in MK Deadly Alliance on the PS2 maybe?) but that excitement that I was actually gonna learn some decent stuff was short lived when I couldn't even manage to dash/air-dash :lol: I was honestly there for about 10 minutes just trying to get the dashing down, incredibly embarassing, got through it eventually and moved onto the later (more complicated) stages of the tutorial and managed to finish it :) I really do feel that it gave me a perfect overview of the basics, some of the stages in the tutorial were pretty tough for a complete scrub like myself but I'm glad the game pushes you like that.

Was unsure what to do after that really, I've not heard good things about the story mode, never usually interested in fighting the CPU so attempted to get an Online match, waited a good 10+ minutes, tried numerous different lobbies in Europe and the US to no avail, so I'm not sure what's up with that, I like that they've got beginner only rooms too! It's a good touch.

Watched a video last night and it recommended I start with Sin, Ky, Leo, Axl, Raven, May, Sol or Zato (lot of choice there) as my first character, unsure whether to put some more time into this is start up Injustice 2 though, I definitely liked what I played though.

3 hours ago, DifferentClass said:

They'll be no-one playing online now.  It doesn't have the biggest community and everyone will have moved to Rev.2.

I could play some online if you want.

Ah OK, I thought Rev and Rev 2 would share the same online lobbies etc. But I guess not, that definitely explains it, guess I'll have to upgrade to Rev 2 at some point for some online matches then.

I'd definitely be up for some matches with you in the evening or afternoon sometime :) Although Injustice 2 and SFV will probably win my affections for the time being.