passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rodea the Sky Soldier

HandsomeDead

This is the latest game from Prope, a small studio headed by Yuji Naka, most famous for his work on Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg and Ivy the Kiwi?. I joke, he's the Sonic and NiGHTS guy. I'd say there is an influence of those two games in here, more so NiGHTS I'd say.

It's odd. Okay, I'm mostly going to be talking about the Wii version of the game that comes bundled with the Wii U version. Well, I mean, just look at the difference:

The ports weren't handled by Prope and whoever did decided to take out the colour and change up the gameplay into something much simpler and not that fun at all.

So the Wii version:

The whole game is actually controlled with just the Wii remote. You point at any bit of environment within a certain distance and press B to shoot your robot guy, Rodea, in that direction. You can also do little flicks with the Wiimote to cause an arc if you want to avoid something that would be in your flight path taking a straight route. It's also good for setting up combos and positioning yourself better in combat. It's quite a fun little system to play with.

But the camera is the problem. You move it with the pointer and it just isn't responsive enough to keep up with the action. I think nunchucka support would have made it a lot more bearable but instead when you overshoot something it can be awkward getting back on track. So it feels pretty good when everything goes to plan but its a ballache when it goes wrong, like a lot of Yuji Naka's games.

Its obviously designed to be a speedrunner's game and I think that's where the most enjoyment will come from but I'm not that sort.

But I've enjoyed the chapters I've done and the boss was fun so I think I come away mostly positive. It's weird and fine. I'm okay with that right now.