passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Racing Sims (formerly "Assetto Corsa")

spatular

Just got this in the steam sale it's a pc racing sim - it's in early access - it's got a decent selection of cars and tracks already though so i don't think i've been ripped off at £15 anyway.

not played a huge amount - did some timetrials in a exige at first and wasnt getting on with it, then did some more timetrials in the ye olde f1 car (like in GPL!) and a formula abarth (like a slow f1 car) and it was great fun, although i couldn't find any online leaderboards which would be a shame if that's missing. there is AI and online so you can have a race. the chase cam is not great - probably because sim people use in-car view but whatever. the graphics are alright, not amazing or anything. force feedback and handling seems really good.

so there you are. there's probably more info in this thread:

http://www.mfgamers.com/index.php?showtopic=40239&hl=assetto

• 2 weeks later...

this is pretty cool, the time trial challenges are really hard, only managed to get bronze on one (ye olde f1 on ye olde monza) so far, and about 1.5 seconds off bronze on two others. good fun trying though.

• 2 weeks later...

been playing this loads, it's totally awesome, the handling is really good, the time trial challenges are really hard, as i mentioned above. anyway got a new steering wheel (mainly for forza horizon 2) but been using it with this and its loads better than the old one (but worse for grid, so probably a setup thing, rather than actually being that much better) anyway its helped a lot and i've done a few more of the challenges, but on some of them still really struggling to even get bronze.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah so i wanted to post about iRacing but going on the popularity of this thread i didn't need to start a new one so changed the name.

iRacing free 3 month trials - see free thread. so i'm giving it a go. first impressions were i don't like it as much as assetto corsa. i believe its forced in car view (i need to check) - and i usually use chase cam so that's a bit odd. and you can only do races on the hour (for the track rookie series i could find anyway) - the others available seem to be ovals (lolval) and stuff you have to buy content to race in. there was a gpl series! you can do practice, test, and timetrial seemingly whenever.

the current rookie series apparently changes every week so this week its okayama track in mazdas.

you start off in rookie and get promoted solely by driving clean, not going off track etc.

i did a test and timetrial last night, and a practice and race today, i had incidents in all the other sessions but in the race i had zero incidents and came second, which i was well pleased with. i was clearly quite slow though, just avoided spinning. the biggest problem was the pedals for the new wheel slide away from my feet quite quickly making the last few laps tricky, lucky i wasn't under any pressure at that point.

edit - 7 of the 11 tracks included in the basic subscription are basically ovals (one is a circle). CRAZY.

edit 2 - did another race and came 9th - loads of class d people in the race mind so not too bad still, completely clean again except for one guy driving into the back of me giving me 4 incident points :(

Had a pretty crap race on this today, got rammed off the track a few times :( and missed the time for another race due to being silly. But did improve my lap time on the current rookie series track. And tried a few more cars/tracks. Still prefer assetto corsa, maybe because it lets me do what I want.

been sticking at iRacing, might as well while it's free, had some more rubbish races, but also had a really good race on okayama the other day, now the track for the rookie series has changed over to lime rock, did a few practices and one qualifying, then had my first race, started high up as not many people have qualified yet, just staying out of the way, let a few people past on the first lap, eventually people spun off and stuff and i ended up in second right behind first place, he was really quick and pulled about 8 second lead, and i was about 10 seconds ahead of 3rd just trying not to panic, then on the second last lap the guy in the lead is going really slow on the straight (i guess he crashed...but maybe not) so i was going to overtake him and he rammed me off the track and slightly broke my car, great, then on the last lap he was going pretty slow, i assumed he wanted to ram me again so i just stayed behind (3rd place guy closing fast), then i decided to go for it on the last straight, he did try to ram me but i managed to avoid it and win. IN HIS STUPID FACE. then found out after that his last action trying to ram me got him disqualified so he ended up 6th or something :lol: iracing maybe growing on me, but it could have easily gone the other way.

• 6 months later...

assetto corsa has been updated to v1 at the end of last year apparently so is out of early access. they've added spa, and some other stuff. going back to it (with another new wheel! i need help) it's like they've changed the default settings as it didn't seem quite as good as before so i've been messing with the settings a bit - and failing to make improvements so far. oh and there's now a career mode which i've started. it's pretty fun.

there's some dlc with new cars and the ring out now/soon - will wait till it's really cheap as i don't like the ring.