passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (2013)

illdog

This is a game I was hoping would be remade. Actually, I wouldn't have given a shit if they just re-released the original. But they remade it and they've done a really good job. They were never going to recapture the magic of the Megadrive original, I accepted that and played this with an open mind.

What I really wanted them to do was keep the original music and as soon as that forest level started there it was. Redone, not as good but it was there and that was enough for me. As it was on the leaf level. It was even there at the end of the level, after the fanfare finishes there was a little tune that carried on in the background that I loved and they kept that too. That's an automatic 10 out of 10. The new music is all very Banjo Kazooie sounding. But that's ok.

Game play wise, at first I thought it might be a little too faithfull an adaption, I thought it might feel too dated for new comers. But play on a little and it gets pretty challenging. The final boss is a proper old school cunt, took me about 8 attempts and it has a small unskippable cut scene which makes it more a pain in the arse than it needs be. I've 100%'d it now and I doubt ill play it again but it was great while it lasted. Any one else?

• 9 months later...

I got to the third world so far.

I'm enjoying it but the controls feel a bit slidey if that makes sense? A few times I've gone too far before hitting the jump button.

They've done a really good job of updating it, doesn't feel like they've copied the exact level design but there's definitely some of the same sections in there.