passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DoDonPachi Sai Dai Ou Jou

spatular

This is region free so thought i'd make a thread for it...

it's the new DoDonPachi game - a bullet hell 2D shooter made by cave - who make great 2D bullet hell shooters. there's been like 7 or so dodonpachi games depending on which ones you count, this one is mad bastard hard - like Dai Ou Jou. and not more beginner friendly like the last one Daifukkatsu. unless you play novice mode anyway. the bullets seem generally faster and there's less slowdown than usual, but also probably less bullets.

there's 4 different modes - arcade HD, 360, 1.5, and novice. i'm not yet sure of the differences, but basically arcade is obviously the arcade version. 1.5 is a slightly altered arcade version - fixing a bug i believe and probably some other improvements to gameplay. 360 mode uses different scoring and is like an arrange mode i believe. and novice is again obviously an easier version.

also within each version are a number of difficulty modes, you pick your character (wide shot/narrow shot/moving shot) then pick the difficulty level - not sure exactly what the first 2 are - they might be the same difficulty - but pick the expert ship and you get a much harder version of the game - i credit fed through this and used about a billion credits.

because of the general difficulty and stuff i've mainly been playing novice so far, on most previous cave games the novice mode has been really easy, but here it's much harder than usual, while still being much easier than the other modes. i'm really enjoying it, trying to get a 1cc then move onto one of the other modes.

there's also a challenge mode with 50 mini challenges - like kill a boss without dying, fully chain a stage - it's really hard like the rest of the game and retrying is slow, but it's a good idea and i've been enjoying it. i barely know anything about the scoring yet other than as it's a dodonpachi game it probably involves chaining which i don't like - but it seems like it might be easier in this version as i completed the challenge to fully chain the first level without even knowing that's what the challenge was....or i got really lucky.

there's also coins to save up and buy strange options to modify the game a bit.

anyway so far it's ace :D

Got the 1cc on novice mode!

So moved onto a bit of 360 mode, which also seems no where near as hard as arcade/1.5 modes, but you only get one life. Hypers charge quickly, and I don't really understand the bombing, you do get bombs but I can't see where they are displayed.

I'm not sure how you charge the hyper, but when you get a hyper you can build up the level to more powerful hypers, when you have a hyper it's activated by pressing the bomb button and it cancels all bullets and makes you more powerful for a time, and increases the rank (which is displayed at the top) - reduce rank by bombing or dying - this hyper stuff is in all game modes, they just seem to charge faster in 360 mode.

been reading up on 360 mode on the shmups forum - there's a big bar at the bottom of the screen - if you don't use any of it - there's enough for 5 autobombs - it depleats a bit each time. it also depleats when you press the shot and laser buttons at the same time (giving some sort of super powerful shot - and the key to high scoring apparently), and you can refill it while hypering (from collecting the green stars i think). so with this new found knowledge, and so a shed load of autobombs, i thought i'd 1cc'd 360 mode but then after the last boss out comes another boss that kicks my ass, continued to see what happens and when that one dies, yet another boss :lol:

edit - credit feeding through 1.5 mode - it's mental, required a billion or so credits.

also the pilots level of undress seems to correspond to the difficulty mode :facepalm:

where are you reading that illdog? only ask as i wouldn't mind reading some more opinions on it.

it's too early to tell for me, i still don't understand the scoring (which is pretty normal for a dodonpachi game tbf), but i will say, while i am really enjoying, it's unlikely i'm going to like it more than futari or ketsui.