passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Monster Hunter Tri

stoobie

I've been playing this over the last week or so - I had a game that I started over a year ago but like Mr Lakitu said, if you stop playing for a while you forget everything.

The story behind the game is basically that a huge Lagiacrus

Lagiacrus.jpg

is terrorising a fishing village and you have to get strong enough to kill it by slaughtering every other type of monster on the island!

Its kind of like Phantasy Star Online in that you get assigned quests from a Guild which get progressively harder. Typically they start of with 'collect some mushrooms', 'kill some defenseless animals' etc, but they have just started getting trickier for me and I am killing monsters left right and centre. You can also just head out to the island and hunt and scavenge if you want to. There are 6 or 7 different types of weapons and they all handle differently and the combat is nice and fast paced.

You dont level up in the typical way - the monsters you kill drop items and you can carve up their corpses for bones and pelt which can all be used to make better weapons and armour. This is the only way to get stronger. There is a HR level online but that only restricts the level of quest you can attempt. There are also a few side quests to complete like improving your village farm to provide supplies and completing requests for the village.

I am really enjoying the offline mode - not so much the online. The community isnt that large and people tend to do the higher level missions which means I cant join in although one or two people have helped me out a bit. The online missions are basically the offline missions but a bit harder to allow for multiple players which makes it really difficult to solo.

One player helped me out quite a bit, and was quite chatty until he told me he was eight years old. Not only did I feel like a dirty old molesterer but he was awesome compared to me. Little shit. Blocked.

Its a really gorgeous game as well - albeit in a lo-res Wii stylee. The monsters are brilliantly animated.

I started playing this on Monday - only put an hour in but its not bad so far.

Im not massively digging it at the moment but its far too early to judge it.

What weapon did you choose Stoob? I have a massive hammer that makes combat slow and cumbersome but i thought in the long run I shall be a mighty beast.

• 1 year later...