passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fist of the North Star

DANGERMAN

Not that this will mean a huge amount to most of you, but FOTNS doesn't play quite as much as a Dynasty Warriors game as it might. Rather than running round battlefields helping team mates this is a bit more of a straight line. Not completely though as there'll quite often be demands placed on you such as saving civilians of defeating certain enemies. Some of these are hidden within the level layout, and completing them increases the rewards and strength of Kenshiro (or whoever you're playing as)

There's more moves available to you that you initially think, and you start to learn which combos to use when. Dodging is also pretty snappy, I've not been blocking though as you can't cancel out, but you can with the dodge and that's more useful imo.

I suspect it'd would be a decent game if I wasnt a fan of the manga, but as I am things like the finishers and boss characters help make it a bit better. I'm not sure the plot would make the most sense if you're not a fan, it's a bit minimal, but then all you really need to know if that Ken has a job to do, and that means some people are going to get punched square in the face, repeatedly.

I think the only issue I've got so far (not that it's a 10/10 aside from this, very enjoyable though) is that the levels are a bit long. There's a lot of them, and then you can redo it all with the unlocked characters (definitely going to play as Roah), and Dream mode which does apparently play like the DW games. If I knew for sure that when it says it's saving that it'd mean you could just pick up where you left off then the level length would be more of a plus, but I suspect you'd have to start the level again.

Also my game included a code to get Kenshiro's original manga costume rather than the one made for the game, which has saved me £2 I probably would have handed over :blush:

• 6 months later...

did you ever get this in the end Lakitu?

I've gone back to this over the past few days. Basically I didn't want to just turn my ps3 on, download the firmware update then log off again, and Dragon Age is annoying the piss out of me, so I thought I'd go back to this.

I stand by my complaint in the first post, it's too long. Maybe if there was a bit more variety in the look of the levels, rather than just post apocalyptic wasteland (there's the odd change here and there, but the last few hours have looked drab) or if you only played as Ken. But as there's 5 or 6 characters to play as, with slightly different storys, movesets, and level layout, and the Dream mode, shorter or fewer levels would have helped Ken's campaign.

I'm still enjoying it though, there's not a huge amount to it, and it's a shame it isn't a bit more visceral (rather than the weird red blobs your punches create), but it works as a brawler