passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

What is a JRPG?

DANGERMAN

What is a JRPG? It is an RPG that is developed in Japan. It can be turn-base, open world or linear. What's a WRPG you ask? It's an RPG that is developed in the west and can be turn-base, open world or linear. WRPG can have anime visual to boot. I know surprising isn't it?

JRPG or WRPG are not even sub-genres. There stupid labels made up by haters, otaku's, hikikomori's

Sub-genre's would be Rogue-Like or SRPG. Those can be made anywhere in the world and not specific to one country.

Also, while on the subject of Monster Hunter it does blurs RPG lines, but it is not an RPG - It is an Action/Adventure game.

I think this thread should be moved into D-Classes genre thread.

Anyways just read this opinion piece on Gameinformer by Kinberley Wallace. It's a good piece and I agree with some points she made.

The main reason I decided to share this link is she never once uses bullshit labels like JRPG or WRPG. The fuckers replying to her piece on the other hand do use those bullshit labels, but I do find it refreshing to find a games "journalist" that describe both eastern and western made role-playing games as just RPGs.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/17/opinion-why-cliche-rpgs-wont-cut-it-anymore.aspx