passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rogue Trooper: Quartz Zone Massacre

HandsomeDead

Nothings been said about this game round these parts.

I went into Gamestation for one purpose, to buy Street Fighter IV. After ignoring the ever tempting House of the Dead I found this little title nearby, don’t ask me why I ended up picking Rogue Trooper up instead, I must of needed another third person shooter.

Going through the early levels I was just thinking ‘oh, what have I wasted my money on this time’. The level was uninspiring, like something out of GoW but ugly, with less bad guys that are stupider and easier to kill and the general feel of the game is very last gen, I know it came out before GoW and probably inspired that game like Resident Evil 4 did but playing wasn’t nearly as fun. I also thought because it is based on a 2000AD comic I was expecting a dark and witty story with some interesting characters but that isn’t showing yet so it’s no The Darkness either.

Something happened on the third level though, it started to show potential. You have quite a few gadgets at your disposal with two or three different approaches to clear the area of the enemies. You might find a nice vantage point and simply snipe everyone or maybe set up your machine gut as a sentry turret by the helipad that reinforcements are coming through while you sneak round and snap the necks of any other silly Billy who is distracted by the turret. Or creep around laying mines everywhere and whistle when you‘re done. Or you can do it GoW style. You decide.

I know I’ve been comparing it to GoW a lot but it doesn’t have that much in common with it, the game it does play quite a lot like is Freedom Fighters. It has a similar feel - to the point where I’ve convinced myself that the developers are linked somehow - and similar sense that you can tackle the levels how you like. The jury is still out at this moment in time but it is entertaining and offering up something I wasn’t expecting.