passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Essential Sudoku

stu

I've been playing this for a few days now, so hopefully that's long enough to come up with some impressions.

The first thing then, what is the game? As the title sort of stealthily alludes to, it's a game that features sudoku puzzles, 1000 of them in fact!

But it also contains 1000 "Picture Puzzles", to you and me, that means 1000 Picross puzzles, multicoloured ones no less!!!

The presentation is minimal, not for style reasons like something such as Brain Age, but more for "we don't know how to present this game, so here, have some puzzles" purposes....

You choose which type of puzzle you want to do, then you choose which number you want. You do the puzzle and at the end you get a colour score, green for ace, yellow for shit and red for ok...

erm, that's it really for the main game...

Both sudoku and Picross puzzles are handled with the touch screen.

Sudoku works like the bit in Brain Age, you click the square, write your number into it then choose either definite or maybe, if it's maybe it will enter the number in small red text so you work stuff out.

The hand writing recognition is a bit iffy on the number 5, however, if you do the 5 so that you start at the bottom, do the backwards c bit of the number, then let go and then draw the line up and then the line to the right, it will pick it up every time!

The Picross puzzles meanwhile could do with a control scheme like Picross DS, because it tries to fit the whole puzzle on the bottom screen with no zoom, so sometimes you'll colour a square you don't mean too. But you're not punished for this, and as long as you keep a watchful eye it's no problem, espicially when the L button works as an undo, so it's all ok...

All the puzzles themselves are ace, no complaints there.

The game features a wireless link up mode, not tried this yet and you can also create your own puzzles, again, not played around with this yet...

All in all, whilst the presentation is poor, and some of the translations are awful (japlish strikes again!) this game does what it sets out to do really well.

If you want 1000 Sudokus and 1000 multi coloured Picross puzzles, for around £10, on your DS, there really is no better option then this bargain of a game!

Recommended to all fans of japanese puzzlers!

I'm still on easy mode on Brain Training sudoku so it's unlikely I'd bother with it, especially if it's just perfunctory presentation.

In fact I turn the "cheat mode" on in the Brain Training ones.

:blush:

I feel so dirty.

And stupid.

cheating is a part of life, if at first you don't succeed.... cheat! That's my gaming pholosophy, I don't like hard games :P