passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Furi

HandsomeDead

This is the game you got this month with PS+ and I think it's the best thing they've put up in ages.

Furi is all kinds of games.  It's a twin-stick shooter crossed with a Ninja Gaiden style brawler that has almost Punch Out style bosses.  And the fights are just with bosses; guys and gals like you with unique attacks and patterns.

Fights are long, but escalate well making them not seem like a chore, except maybe when having to repeat certain parts if you're unsuccessful since some attack phases require you to just dodge stuff while you wait for an opening to strike.

The fighting feels pretty good.  It's maybe a little sluggish but apparently a patch is on the way which is good because the dash would be better if it came out a little quicker.

There are no combos or anything to learn as you just hammer the square button to use your sword.  It's more about timing and being in the right place, as well as taking advantage the parry you can do.  You can also use the right stick to shoot in any direction, and all attacks have a charged version by holding down the button.

It just all comes together to make a really cool game.  The enemies attack patterns make things more interesting and they are the most creative examples I've seen in the genre for a long time.

Visually it lacks a bit of polish but the art direction looks amazing at times and the soundtrack is spot on.  It has that haunting synth sound that is really popular at the moment and shows up a lot but there is just something in how it mixes with the visuals that shows your game doesn't have to look like Hotline Miami or be an indigo and neon racing game for it to work.  I mean, some of the game does look like that but each boss comes with their own environment so its used along with a different look.

The story is presented mysteriously but not in a way that's obnoxious; it's quite pulpy.

So yeah.  This is definately a cool game.  I think it's worth trying out.  It is hard but... y'know: hard games are cool.

I tried it out the other day. Didn't get very far, couldn't beat the first guy.

I'm willing to try again, but it might be too precise of a brawler for me, like when you're forced into parrying, I'm much more of a button masher kind of player.

I realise I like the Souls games but even still I play them with more brute force than precision.