passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NES Remix

illdog

So this is good fun. You have 6 NES classic games unlocked from the start -Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jnr, Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, Excitebike and Balloon Fight. Each game is made up of a series of challenges.

You have three lives in which to accomplish your task, Its pretty simple to begin with but you are at the behest of 1980's controls which will fuck you up somewhere along the line. Like Donkey Kong will start you out just jumping a certain amount of barrells and ends up getting you to do a couple of quick challenges before tackling a whole level. Each time you complete a challenge you get given points which fills up a bar at the bottom that when filled unlocks a stamp for Miiverse posting.

Each challenge can earn you three starts depending on how quickly you completed it. Earning stars unlocks level in the 'remix' game which accompanies the original 6 NES games. The remix challenges are things like racing through a level of Super Mario Bros in silhouette mode (so its tough to see enemies) or playing Donkey Kong Jnr with a periodically disappearing background. These levels have been the most fun so far.

At 100 stars I unlocked the original Zelda, there space for another game in the selection bar and the remix levels are under the banner of 'Remix I' so i'm guessing there will be a 'Remix 2' series.

£7.99 feels a little steep for whats basically WarioWare with NES games, there is a lot to do but a fiver would have been a fairer asking price imo. Exitebike and the original Mario Bros are terrible games as well, I cant understand what made Nintendo pick them to star here. The jumping in Mario Bros is fucking awful.

Ive managed to get all the stars in Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jnr so far but Mario and Excitebike are pretty tough. Actually, some of the Super Mario Bros challenges are pretty hard, can see me have a tough time with some of the latter stages.

The first Zelda challenge was made up of 4 quick challenges one after the other but it was the most pointless one so far. Get the sword! which involved pressing up. Kill the enemies! Thats more like it. Buy an item! Press up again, then A. Enter the dungeon! Press up.

Managed to three star that one.

• 2 weeks later...

POW. Had a bit of a session on this today. I managed to get all stars on Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jnr, Balloon Fight and Mario Bros. You read that right. To show your extreme prowess the little old TV's the individual games are displayed in become framed in gold. Gold I tell you.

Anyways, more unlockable japery in spoilers:

At 130 stars you get

Wrecking Crew. I call it Wrecking Poo cos its rubbish

At 160 stars you get

Ice Climber. I don't mind Ice Climber

I seem to be only able to play this game in half hour bursts, it's pretty tricky in some places and my brain/heart cant take prolonged periods of this shit.