passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked

DANGERMAN

This came out on the 3ds eshop a week or so ago and I've been dipping in to it between pokemon bothering.

It's a bit of a departure from other Shin Megami Tensei games but at the same time exactly like them. Tonally it's not as bleak as a normal SMT game, it breaks the 4th wall too much for that but at the same time demons have taken over Tokyo, people are dying, and you can still cast bufu.

The plot is my issue with the game so far. You are given DS' to use (called comps here) and get a mysterious email on them predicting the future. You're then attacked by demons who end up joining you, and can use the comps to summon more. There's religious cults who are devout about the internet, blackouts, death clocks, all sorts of stuff.

In gameplay terms Devil Survivor Overclocked differs from traditional SMT in a couple of ways. Firstly you no longer talk to demons to recruit them anymore, instead you bid on them on the underworld's eBay. Battles aren't random anymore, instead it's a grid based strategy rpg. You move next to an enemy and attack them, then it's kind of turn based, except regardless of who instigates the fight both sides get to act. If you land a critical hit or attack a weakness you may be rewarded with one or more of your team getting an extra attack.

It still has a lot of cross over with traditional SMT, demons still have elemental weaknesses and you can still fuse. Nicely demons now have a set spec, so making a Jack Frost will have the same strengths and weaknesses every time, although you can carry over some spells

I've done a video look at it which should have a hd version processed by the morning