passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mutant Mudds

HandsomeDead

There is something a little uninspiring about this game. I dunno whether it's the basic pixel art, the kinda cool but still overly familiar chip-tine music or the relatively boring antagonists. But I still can't stop playing it. I think it has something beyond the well executed level design but it's hard to pinpoint.

The opinion I have on it now is the similar opinion I have on the New Super Mario Bros. games; they're like no thrills product of good design. There are nothing really beyond that. Not the internet savvy humour of Super Meat Boy or having a story that can be interpreted in multiple ways like Braid or Limbo, but just pure decent design. Saying it like that sounds like it shouldn't be worth your time but sometimes pure fun is fine I think.

Mutant Mudds is like a SNES game that you really like a lot, but you don't remember a lot in hindsight. It's a really fun game of the moment, like a fling, but a good one.

But enough of my bullshit, I'll try to tell you a bit about the game itself. It's kinda Megaman-esgue in design, basically, and there are five worlds to deal with. There are also hidden levels that usually require power ups that you get by collecting tokens in the levels there are 100 per level and are easy enough to get; getting all 100 isn't much of a challenge. If you can do the level you'll get all the tokens, unless you're shit.

But there is enormous challenge in the hidden levels, and the entrances to those are usually hidden behind some kind of obstacle that you can only get passed by buying a power up from your Granny, and you can only carry one of the multiple power ups at a time so you gotta make a mental note whenever you come across one!

Shit, I'm rambling. All I wanna say too, is I'm playing on PC which isn't what it was designed for... this is a 3DS game. there are certainly parts where I wish I had that extra depth of field because some obstacles can look threatening, or nonthreatening at first glance but are/not and some 3D would maybe help at times.

But basically, thumbs up from me! Better than I expected, but then I'm a bit of a nut for platformers.