passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Carcassonne

Hendo

The digital board game love continues....

I bought this on XBLA when I first got my 360 as this and Catan were getting regular play nights on GTM but I could never get my head round it when I tried.

I decided to give the iOS version a whirl as it gets so much praise but it sells for 7 quid which for an App Store game is rather excessive.

The good news is I can see why it gets so much praise as a game, and I can see why it gets so much praise for the app.

It's a universal app so it looks great on both small and large screens, the board is zoomable using pinch, it has a unique solitaire mode which makes you play differently to the normal game, it uses GameCenter (and tells you which of your friends have the game, which is handy) and has asynchronous multiplayer with 4 or 5 people. Plus I think you can add bots.

Anyway, if you don't know, you work together but also competitively, to build a town. You place cards down on your turn and connect roads, buildings, fields, etc.

You put a little figure in the road or building and when the road or building is complete, you get points depending on how many tiles it is made from.

This is a good introduction to how the game plays:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KYk1YxgHb8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If anyone (other than Jim) has this on iOS, send me an invite.

Or if anyone has it on XBLA and fancies a go, let me know. :)