passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Redout

HandsomeDead

When I posted that Grip trailer the other day it got me thinking about the WipeOut type game that I'd also heard about.  I think I was maybe waiting for a Switch release but it's looking less likely that it'll actually happen.  I checked the PS4 store and it was there for £35, so fuck that.  But the very next day (today) a new Easter sale went up and it was there for less than £16.  I guess it was destiny I was going to buy it.

But what's it like?

I've just played a little so far, but it's kinda cool.  It seems fairly robust so far.  It's not just pick a ship and do some races like WipeOut, it does have an upgrade system that you can tailor for certain races.  You get two upgrades to take in with you, one you activate and one that is passive.  The activated ones are like kinda weapon based for the most part while the passive ones tend to affect the speed or handling of your ship.  They can also be upgraded by paying money from winnings.  You can also upgrade to versions of your ship with better performance.  The career is pretty robust.  There are also a few race types it cycles through like time trials, races, elimination things that are fairly common in racing games but they're spread out well here.

I've not played enough to really get a good sense of the handling.  So you steer with the left analogue stick as per, but you also have some slight strafe like movement on the right stick.  You also need to pull up on ramps or you damage your ship, not unlike grinding against rails at the sides of the track.  I'm having a hard time knowing how to use it.  I guess it will click in time but I tend to use it like the air brakes in WipeOut but they really don't work in the same way.

The problem I'm having here is you kinda have to get used to it early on whereas air braking was something essential much later on in the game.  I'm too old to not be good right away at this.

But there was a point I found myself gunning for good times like I would in WipeOut and getting a little obsessive so I think it is getting under my skin a bit at least.

I wish it looked nicer though.  I don't think I'm a fan of this particular low-polly art style it's going for.  I like the colours but something about the geometry of everything isn't working for me.

Maybe I'll think differently after I've gitten gud.