passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yoshi's New Island

illdog

Ive played this through and finished it, I thought it would be rude not to start a thread about it.

Real mixed feelings about the whole game. First of all it's almost exactly like the first game. Where it's so similar it could be instantly a little disappointing as you feel like you've done this before but then if you enjoyed he first game like I did then your like 'cool i'm back and this is a NEW island'.

A new thing - you can eat massive shy guys that turn in to massive eggs and throw them through part of the level to unlock progress and access to flowers and red coins and pipes otherwise locked behind unbreakable scenery. You just flick your tongue at the massive bastards and hammer the A button until a little metre fills up and Yoshi shits out a mahoosive egg.

Another new thing - You encounter little doorways with spinny vortexs in them - these whisk you off to little bonus levels and transform Yoshi in to a car or a jackhammer or a plane or a toboggan. They are annoyingly controlled by the gyroscope but if you are going for 100% completion you have to do them as they contain collectibles. They are ok tho, kind of fun really except for the plane ones, they are awful to control and very strict with the time limit.

But mostly its old stuff. I rekon I was having fun 50% of the time and in a fit of furious rage for the other 50% and I can be that precise. It's a lovely little platformer really but it is fucking annoying. It has far too much trial and error when it comes to the collectibles for my liking. Its really easy to throw an egg at a question mark cloud only for it to make some steps appear and block off what would definitely have been some red coins or a pipe leading to a flower. This happens a lot in a number of ways, obviously developers Arzest want you to play the level or the whole game again eventually but some of the stuff is right at the end of a bastard great level and it ends up just leaving a bitter taste in your mouth.

You have to carry Mario through the levels. If you get hit he floats around in a bubble until you get him by making contact with the bubble, in the meantime a counter is counting from 10 to 0 and Mario is making a god awful crying noise. Timer gets to zero and its game over. You can collect little stars from question mark clouds that increase the time you have available to get Mario back if you're hit up to a maximum of 30 seconds. Each level has a preset objective of getting Mario across the finish line with a max counter of 30 seconds still at your disposal. The amount of times I got hit by the very last obstacle or enemy in a level was fucking unreal, only to get Mario back in a flash but then having no option but to finish the level with 29 seconds instead of 30. Just another thing that left me with a bad taste in my mouth. And it was already bad from sucking so much cock.

This left me felling like I didnt want to bother getting the collectibles. But rushing through the levels felt soulless so I couldn't fucking win.

Oh, also I accidently activated his ground pound move whilst in the air more times you should, causing instant death. That was annoying.

When those things aren't happening it's not a bad game though. 8 hours worth of platforming to be had. A definite pick up if it's cheap.